Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can find the frequency of human voice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasanthakumar

i need to find the frequency of particuler sound.any instruments can help me to find the frequency of any sound for my projuct.give me circuits of such a instruments .plzzzzzzzzzz help me

vasanthakumar said:
i need to find the frequency of particuler sound.any instruments can help me to find the frequency of any sound for my projuct.give me circuits of such a instruments .plzzzzzzzzzz help me

A spectrum analyser can display the audio spectrum of a sound, most sounds are many frequencies - very few are a single frequency.

As your request is vague, it's difficult to offer any more advise?.

Yep, a frequency analyser will show the prominant frequencies in a voice, but as Nigel said, it won't be a single tone; only a sine wave has no harmonics. Generally though, you'll find the "energy" in the voice, the tone, in frequencies under 1Khz. The sibilance, "S" and "T" type sounds, take up much higher frequencies, often over 5Khz.

The 1994 edition of my ARRL (amateur radio) handbook has a page or two on the characteristics of the human voice. It seems to me that there is likely to be a lot of good information published on frequencies for a human voice. In reading one summary sentence it says that most of the energy in a human voice is between 300 Hz and 2,500 Hz though no comment is made on gender, singing, age, etc.

A PIC can take a few mS of samples, do a Fourier transform, and show the dominant frequency. A dsPIC can probably do a Fourier transform on the fly.

Guitar tuners do a great job in analog AFAIK, but there is a much clearer dominant frequency. Voice always has a rich and unpredictable array of other frequency components.

So what is this person asking to do again???

I think they need to be more clear on what they are after.

There quite a few soundcard frequency analyzer available, I thought,suspected, that guitar tuners were PLL circuits.

Paul Obrien said:
There quite a few soundcard frequency analyzer available, I thought,suspected, that guitar tuners were PLL circuits.

Guitar tuners use micro-controllers or micro-processors, PLL's would be far too restrictive and complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back