Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How an LM339 works

Status
Not open for further replies.

QiQ

I need to trig a relay based on an adjustable voltage threshold (if the signal goes say below 2.8V, I want the relay to trig open). I purchased LM339s (quads) to do so with a common voltage reference for all comparators.

Questions:

1) Vcc specs seem to be 36V or +/-18... is that the max allowed supply or the REQUIRED supply? (I'm working with 5V CMOS everywhere else on the board and don't have access to a 36V source)

2) I would like the output to be latched until reset. Can I add a simple IC at the outputs to achieve that?

I got my answer as far as the power supply goes: it does work with 5V. Now for the latched outputs (possibly driving LEDS)...

There are lots of ways to latch the output. Post a schematic of your intended circuit, and someone will probably know the best way to do it.

Last edited:
There are lots of ways to latch the output. Post a schematic of your intended circuit, and someone will probably know the best way to do it.
I was looking for an IC that intergrated several latches... I've got 8 outputs to latch with limited space to fit the circuitry.

That's exactly why I asked the OP to post a schematic. Without that, there isn't any way to know if it'll work or not. BTW, it's one enable per 4-bit latch.

EDIT: My effort to help a poster is proportional to his effort to help me understand his proposal/objective.

Last edited:
The ideal part in my mind would be an octal D FF with common D inputs and individual clocks - just the opposite of available octal D's.
Of available parts, 74xx279 or CD4043/4044 are the best I can find. They are quad SR latches. Each comparator output would have to be coupled to one of the latch inputs through an RC differentiator (or a digital differentiator).

That's exactly why I asked the OP to post a schematic. Without that, there isn't any way to know if it'll work or not. BTW, it's one enable per 4-bit latch.

EDIT: My effort to help a poster is proportional to his effort to help me understand his proposal/objective.
I'm sorry if I dissapointed you. I like to be guided, try a few things on my own following advices, succed/fail and give feedback based on that.

The circuit has to perform the opening of a relay if one of its inputs goes over a certain voltage. There are 4 devices running in series monitored so that if any of them has its temperature above a certain point, it trigs the relay. The inputs are fed directly to the LM339 (which after verification, was part of the problem: it required its outputs pulled up with 3k resistors). The 4 outputs of the LM339 are fed into a 4 input NAND gate, whose output drives the relay (through a transistor).

I guess there may have been a better way of performing the same task for someone more experience, but I had very little time to make it work. So far it does on the breadboard, we'll see when everything is soldered.

PS: the reason why I wanted latches was to eliminate oscillation around the threshold and to drive 4 leds to know which one of the deviced trigged the over temp.

Last edited:
Latching isn't required to eliminate oscillation around the threshold. All you need is hysterisis in your comparator. It's much simplier. BTW, I understand the SN74100 is obsolete. If you want latches, just take Roff's suggestion and use D-tpe ff's.

Latching isn't required to eliminate oscillation around the threshold. All you need is hysterisis in your comparator. It's much simplier. BTW, I understand the SN74100 is obsolete. If you want latches, just take Roff's suggestion and use D-tpe ff's.
Latching was primarely required to light the corresponding led. Its second purpose, while doing so, was to play the hysteresis role.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back