Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How accurate is the ADC on PIC18?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris414

How much accuracy can I expect with a PIC18F2550? I'm using the example code from microchip for some simple ADC and compared with my multimeter (it's a good multimeter, not a cheap supermarket special) it's reading about 0.2V higher than the actual reading (the error is less at lower voltages). Is this normal?

Last edited:
How much accuracy can I expect with a PIC18F2550? I'm using the example code from microchip for some simple ADC and compared with my multimeter (it's a good multimeter, not a cheap supermarket special) it's reading about 0.2V higher than the actual reading (the error is less at lower voltages). Is this normal?

How good is your reference voltage? Did you choose Vdd as the reference for the ADC or are you using a precise external reference?
What is the source feeding the ADC?

Assuming you used a voltage divider, the divider resistors' accuracy makes an enormous difference. As much as +5% on one and -5% on the other (worst case) is a lot of error!

The PIC18F's ADC is just as accurate as the spec sheet (and errata sheet) says.

Last edited:

if you had it set up right you should be within 0.01volts of actual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back