Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how a capacitor filter a certain signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jin29_neci

:lol:
hi guys i just started repairing tv sets.....

in my experience i have this trouble the output from the speaker is not fine, is what you call distortion or noise.

i already repalced the open capacitor but the distortion is still there....
what do you think the possible solution here guys?

can you expalin to me how a filter capacitor do in a audio circuit?
what kind (is it electrolytic, mylar, etc. & when are you going to palce a capacitor in a given circiut?

thanks guys

im not sure where to place the cap but use a ceramic, you will blow a eelectrolytic.

jin29_neci said:
:lol:
hi guys i just started repairing tv sets.....

in my experience i have this trouble the output from the speaker is not fine, is what you call distortion or noise.

i already repalced the open capacitor but the distortion is still there....
what do you think the possible solution here guys?

As in repairing anything, you need to understand how it works first, then try and break it down to isolate where the problem might be. An obvious point to break down an audio fault is at the input to the power amplifier stage - is the sound distorted going in?.

However, a faulty capacitor doesn't sound a very likely reason for distorted sound - based on 34 years repairing TV's!.

can you expalin to me how a filter capacitor do in a audio circuit?
what kind (is it electrolytic, mylar, etc. & when are you going to palce a capacitor in a given circiut?

It depends entirely where the capacitor is in the circuit, some will be coupling capacitors, some de-coupling capacitors, and some may be used to tailor the frequency response.

You need to post a circuit for specific suggestions!.

hi guys thanks for the post..... i reallu appreciate it.

do you think a signal injector is a good tool for isolating an audio circuit to diagnose if the incoming signal is distorted?

jin29_neci said:
hi guys thanks for the post..... i reallu appreciate it.

do you think a signal injector is a good tool for isolating an audio circuit to diagnose if the incoming signal is distorted?

As long as the sound is so badly distorted you can hear it on the injector signal, personally I would use an oscilloscope, but a simple amplifier used as a signal tracer would work as well.

danielsmusic said:
im not sure where to place the cap but use a ceramic, you will blow a eelectrolytic.

hold on a sec...

the only way an electrolytic can blow is if the voltage applied to it is greater than it can handle. I think that if you connect a bunch of electrolytics in parallel, you get a higher voltage rating.

and who says a ceramic can't blow?

mstechca said:
the only way an electrolytic can blow is if the voltage applied to it is greater than it can handle.

Or if you connect it the wrong way round.

mstechca said:
I think that if you connect a bunch of electrolytics in parallel, you get a higher voltage rating.

Oh no you dont!
Think about it, if they are connected in parallel, they will all have the same voltage across them. So the voltage rating of a parallel group will be that of the lowest rated one within the group.

JimB

I think that if you connect a bunch of electrolytics in parallel, you get a higher voltage rating.

Oh no you dont!
Think about it, if they are connected in parallel, they will all have the same voltage across them. So the voltage rating of a parallel group will be that of the lowest rated one within the group.

JimB

I forgot about that. I got the voltage, and capacitance a little screwed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back