Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Housing your project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leculver

I'm looking at making something similar (to a degree) to this: Equinox Clock | BramKnaapen.com

Does anyone know how I could go about making something similar to the casing that this project was housed in? The designer only had this to say about the body: "The body was laser cut, assembled and spray painted, the plexiglass blocks were sandblasted."

Does anyone know what machine is used to laser cut plexiglass like that? Is it something I could buy and put in my garage? Alternatively, is there any company would make one-off cuts like this?

I realize this isn't exactly an electronics project, but I figure someone out there has to have run into needing a custom fitting case to house their electronics project... Any advice?

Does anyone know what machine is used to laser cut plexiglass like that?

Hmm - maybe something called a laser cutter, perhaps...?

Is it something I could buy and put in my garage?

Yes - if you have the money; IIRC, on the very low end (discounting homebrew, of course) they are down to around $2000.00 (US) - and they quickly rise in price from there...

Alternatively, is there any company would make one-off cuts like this?

Yes, there are companies that will do this; you might have one local to you if you live near a large enough city.

Other options would be places like this:

Ponoko

...as well as:

Pololu - Custom Laser Cutting Service

Hope this helps...

Call me wacky, but the designer has his email address, why dont you ask him,.....hell, he may even have a few extra cut pieces around to sell to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back