Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hotpoint WF540 washing machine board issue - pics included

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannywrc

Just took the board out of the washing machine to check the c17 cap (common problem) and noticed quite a bit of soot on other components. the c17 cap is slightly domed but it looks like something else has gone. can anyone shed a bit of light please?

thanks

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
ill try replacing the c17 for now and see if that sorts the problem. the other caps look fine. i take it capxon components arent very good?

changed the cap earlier and the washer has just finished its first cycle :D job done. not sure why the others looked burnt underneath, might have just been the soot settling after it popped.

cost 64p for a 1000ma 16v cap from maplins. was gonna cost £150 just for a replacement board without fitting.

cheers ppl :)

il bear that in mind about the capxon stuff.

If you have leaked any dielectric on the board it will cause corrosion. Might be a good idea to remove it and clean under all the components. Might be a good idea to pull the other caps around it and check them as well. Of course Nigel will have last call I'm just a hobbyist that spent 5yrs in a TV repair Shop.

If you have leaked any dielectric on the board it will cause corrosion. Might be a good idea to remove it and clean under all the components. Might be a good idea to pull the other caps around it and check them as well. Of course Nigel will have last call I'm just a hobbyist that spent 5yrs in a TV repair Shop.

The Capxon caps just split at the top, they don't seem to leak any substances on the PCB - so unless there's something wildly obvious (and there's nothing in the picture) I wouldn't think there's any need for cleaning.

The "soot" will probably be airborne particles of which there are plenty in a washing machine, rubber from drivebelt, carbon from motor brushes. Worthwhile removing whilst board is off the machine.

I had a similar issue so I replaced the C17 capacitor and now the machine will not power up. Polarity was ok. I checked and power is getting to the board. I believe all connections are ok. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hotpoint WF540

I experienced a fairly common problem with my Hotpoint washing machine with multiple flashing lights on power up so I replaced the damaged C17 capacitor on the PCB hoping that would resolve the issue but now the machine will not power up. Polarity was ok. I checked that power is getting to the board. I believe all connections are ok. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Please see following thread for more details and picture of PCB...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I hope I can pick someone's brains - I had the same problem with my Hotpoint WT960 - my screen had been flashing for 2 months every now and then - but yesterday it was constant flashing no error codes and no programme could be selected - so hubbie changed the c17 as bulbous at the top and when switched on great no flashing - done a dark fast wash @ 30 -- and a white wash half load @ 40 all good - but then put just 4 towels in on cotton 40 degrees and 20 minutes into it -- wash and rinse showed on screen at top but the flashing of the screen came back constant - time doesn't go down - sounds like its struggling wanting to spin or do the next part ..... it spun lovely with the dark & white wash - so I cancelled wash and come on here :) Husband wonders if he needs to change anything else on board ? hope someone can help me - many thanks

I have seen loads of weird control board looking faults on and off both with my own machine and a friends one, all seemingly random, but in the end it came down to motor brushes. When these wear arcing takes place and it causes all sorts of weird stuff to happen with the control board. Black soot on the board is common as has already been mentioned, although if it's really heavy, clean the board with hot, mildly soapy water and a toothbrush, then dry it completely before refitting it. If you replace the capacitor, make sure that you don't tear out the plated through holes when removing the old one. I have already seen intermittent problems with this on other machines I have looked at for folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back