Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Horizontal streaks on tv screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosit

I have a 52" Sharp Aquos Liquid Crystal televsion that has developed several horizontal streaks and blotches on the screen. It starts as one small in the corner but now has some that go halfway across the screen. What causes this and how do I get rid of them. I have attached a photo of the screen.

From the description I thought the backlight had failed, however from the pic I think Nigel is right, and a new screen wouldnt be cost effective.
TV repair centres (well some of them) might salvage a screen from another set that is totalled, thats probably the only way a repair would be effective.

Unlikely, but check that nothing is pressing against the screen back and stressing/distorting the screen.

Thanks

Thank you for your responses, even though it was not what I wanted to hear. Guess I will have to look into a new tv and it will not be another Sharp. This one is only 4 years old.

Hitachi have been by far for me the ones seen for repair less, but they dont have the best picture, philips seem to be reasonably good, however I believe now that a lot of manufacturers are re-brands.

Hitachi have been by far for me the ones seen for repair less, but they dont have the best picture, philips seem to be reasonably good, however I believe now that a lot of manufacturers are re-brands.

Hitachi are only a cheap crap 'brand' almost all their TV's are just cheap badged Vestel sets, like most of the Supermarket junk.

Philips have been a joke for decades :D

The two top brands, by a considerable margin, are Sony and Panasonic.

Maybe there is some filter between the LCD and outer screen that is starting to bubble.
If the LCD itself was cracked, you'd see the liquid crystal running down vertically on the screen.

There's a slight chance it could be repaired. Have you searched for people with a similar problem?

Those look like wrinkles, cracks or bubbles in a backlight diffuser. Does the TV have a thin film diffuser?

Those look like wrinkles, cracks or bubbles in a backlight diffuser. Does the TV have a thin film diffuser?

I was thinking that there is a remote chance that maybe there is a poly film attached to the front of the screen; some protective coating used for shipping and was supposed to be peeled off along time ago by the buyer when the set was new.

I have a ten year old Fluke type 79 DMM. It still has the original protective film covering the display. I have never removed it.

Last edited:
I was thinking that there is a remote chance that maybe there is a poly film attached to the front of the screen; some protective coating used for shipping and was supposed to be peeled off along time ago by the buyer when the set was new.

TV's don't have any such film, and never have.

It ended up being a delamination issue and Sharp replaced the tv at no cost even though it was out of warranty. Sharp is back in my good graces and we are loving our new tv and as a bonus it is a Smart TV. Thank you all for your responses they were greatly appreciated.

Sony did something similar for me, some manufaturers are better than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back