Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hooking mp3 player up to old speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Si

I inherited a couple of old speakers from my dad, the kind where you need the speaker wire with two loose ends that plug into the back to play. I want to play my mp3 player on them, but i'm not sure if it's even possible to do. I need something that goes from my mp3 player's 1/8 inch jack, and hooks up to the two loose ends of the speaker wire.
I'm guessing that' i'll need some sort of a power amp that I can plug the mp3 player into, and then send it through to the speakers.
Ideas? Help? Thanks a lot.

you will need a plug, and maybe an amplifier. try hooking the mp3 player directly to the speaker, and if it's not loud enough, you will need an amp

things said:
you will need a plug, and maybe an amplifier. try hooking the mp3 player directly to the speaker, and if it's not loud enough, you will need an amp
What kind of plug? Sorry, not an electronically savvy guy.

What's the size of speakers is that 4 ohms , 8 ohms, 16 ohms?
what's the rated watts in the speaker system?
Are they woofers?
MP3 size? Is it a pocket player or deck size?
What output connector does it have?
A small headphone socket?

We don't know anything.

Gayan Soyza said:
What's the size of speakers is that 4 ohms , 8 ohms, 16 ohms?
what's the rated watts in the speaker system?
Are they woofers?
MP3 size? Is it a pocket player or deck size?
What output connector does it have?
A small headphone socket?

We don't know anything.
The speakers are 8 ohms each and there's two of them, I don't think they're woofers, the mp3 player is pocket size with a 1/8 inch headphone jack. That's about all I know.

Then You really need a AMP to drive your speakers.The headphone output is less than 0.5W & its milli watt range mostly.So it doesn't have enough power to drive your speakers.

You need an amplifier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back