Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homemade NiMH Charger working not correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielEurope

Last week I assembled NiMh charger by below mentioned diagram. Charger working good, except LED indicator - it should light during charging, but nothing happened. I measured voltage on this LED, it is only 0.7 V........So I replaced resistor with lower resistance, but no success :( Is there anyone who can help me to figure out, why Led isn't lighting during charging, please? Thanks, Daniel

www.circuitdiagram.org/automatic-nimh-battery-charger-circuit.html

At a first look at that circuit, be happy that it is charging the batteries.

As for the LED, the design of that circuit as a charge indicator is ay best marginal and very dependant on component and battery characteristics.
In my opinion, it is not worth worrying about.

JimB

The LED indicator part of the circuit as shown won't work. If you want a LED indication of when the battery voltage reaches a target value then a voltage comparator should be used, with a switchable threshold voltage according to how many cells are in the battery. But as Jim says, it's probably not worth it.

Diode 1
Last week I assembled NiMh charger by below mentioned diagram. Charger working good, except LED indicator - it should light during charging, but nothing happened. I measured voltage on this LED, it is only 0.7 V........So I replaced resistor with lower resistance, but no success :( Is there anyone who can help me to figure out, why Led isn't lighting during charging, please? Thanks, Daniel

www.circuitdiagram.org/automatic-nimh-battery-charger-circuit.html
N

• Diode 1N4001 was connected backwards anode should be connected to ground of 5V Reg then cathode to + side battery so diode is in fwd bias .

Diode 1N4001 was connected backwards anode should be connected to ground of 5V Reg then cathode to + side battery so diode is in fwd bias .
Diode is connected correctly.
Lm7805 is being use as a current regulator, not a voltage regulator.

This is a two year old thread, revitalised by someone providing incorrect information.

Thread closed.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back