Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homemade AVR usb programming device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten

Hi
Is there anyone that have done anything like this?

I Maen make a USB prgrammer for AVR devices? I woundering about moving from PIC to AVR but dont want to spend any monye (beeing really cheap i know but dont have the funds to buy even a AVRdragon)

Avr programmer

Think i have a working home made programer, but its not a usb type. Its uses the LPT1 port. Let me know if you are interested.

Making one for use with the LPT (printer) port is easy - you could do it with just some wire and resistors.

Here's a great site about making your own:

AVR Programmer

I never bought one of those dev boards, just got the AVRs and breadboard. I like it better, and its cheaper. Plus the programming software is free. It's called WinAVR. The language is C, but there are also programming software that allwos you to write in BASIC...

:D AVRS ARE THE BEST!!! :D

Last edited:

I have made this one at home and it works perfect!! Infact, many of the commercially available low-cost AVR usb programmers use this circuit & code. It uses the AVRdude software which is also available for free! After my first prototype, I etched 8 of them for my friends, too. Try it out, it's simple.
Only problem is, you will need an AVR programmer for programming the ATmega8 used here. So, for one time, you can borrow it from a friend or use a home-made serial programmer for once.
I've given some links to DIY AVR programmer here:
Design with Microcontrollers: DIY AVR Programmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back