Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Holding 5V Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_1

Hi:

I am trying to connect Hi signal (5V) from port A of a PIC to the V+ of the LED of LCD.
The signal coming from port A is 5V, but the minute I connect it to the V+ of the LED of LCD, it drops to 3.7V.
Is there away to hold it steady at 5V after the connection is made?

Thanks.

Why do you need to keep it steady? The LCD isnt working?
Surely the voltage will drop because of the loading effect, you can use a driver to get the 5V you want

vinke said:
Why do you need to keep it steady? The LCD isnt working?
Surely the voltage will drop because of the loading effect, you can use a driver to get the 5V you want

The LCD is working, but with only 3.7V, it is very dim.
Also, how do I use a driver?

I take it you're driving the LCD backlight directly from a PIC pin? Nope won't work needs at least 65ma for a modern LCD backlight and 150ma for the old green yellow ones. You need a driving transistor.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
A very simple driver would be to use a general purpose NPN transistor as a switch.from your PIC output connect a 1Kohm resistor in series with the base of the transistor.Connect 5V to the transistor's collector and connect a 330 ohm resistor between the emitter and your LCD.You will have more power to your LCD.

vinke said:
A very simple driver would be to use a general purpose NPN transistor as a switch.from your PIC output connect a 1Kohm resistor in series with the base of the transistor.Connect 5V to the transistor's collector and connect a 330 ohm resistor between the emitter and your LCD.You will have more power to your LCD.
Your transistor is an emitter-follower with a voltage loss of about 0.8V. The LEDs are about 3.5V for white ones so the total voltage lost is 4.3V.
So only 0.7v is across the 330 ohm current-limiting resistor which limits the current to only 2mA. Way too low.

audioguru said:
Your transistor is an emitter-follower with a voltage loss of about 0.8V. The LEDs are about 3.5V for white ones so the total voltage lost is 4.3V.
So only 0.7v is across the 330 ohm current-limiting resistor which limits the current to only 2mA. Way too low.
Put a 10 ohm resistor then,you will get 70mA.:)

I think it is safer if the transistor is a common-emitter. Then the resistor is 20 ohms for 70mA when the LEDs are 3.5V. But if the LEDs are only 3.0V in your circuit they will have a current of 120mA and will burn out. In my circuit the new current will be 95mA which is safer.

Last edited:
I think that joe_1 was talking about LCD and not a LED. 120mA wont burn a LCD,well it depends on which LCD he is using.Neways the common-emmitter is surely safer

The max continuous output current allowed from an output on a PIC is only 25mA. There is another max allowed total current if a few outputs have a load.

I think the current used by an LCD display is nearly nothing. My LCD watch runs for two years from a tiny button cell. It doesn't turn off the LCD at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back