Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
HiTech said:
With a forum name like Armagdn, you're sure to bring upon yourself a demise to your personal safety and well being sooner or later... considering you are experimenting with HV!!:rolleyes:

But as the name would imply, im taking you all with me!!!

Not me... I'm saved! Ya know, one of the raptured 144,000 or thereabouts!

Only my son and my dog follow me around in life. The rest of the world is quite safe... from me that is.

Armagdn03 said:
Question, would that circuit give off a wave form similar to....../l/l/l/l/l/l/l/l/l/l/l, ramp generator?

I don't think so, although I haven't built one of these myself.
I know that the circuit can deliver quite a lot of power, having the cap there it acts like the primary of a TC, but how exactly it works i'm not sure, I'm not an engineer either, just a tinkerer.:p

The waves from mine look like the ones in ignition circuits.
A sharp spike with ringing( oscillations) after.
sam

Last edited:
Goldsphere said:
I don't think so, although I haven't built one of these myself.
I know that the circuit can deliver quite a lot of power, having the cap there it acts like the primary of a TC, but how exactly it works i'm not sure, I'm not an engineer either, just a tinkerer.:p

It depends on how you drive it.

sam

well you can get any dc resistance with a normal mulimeter 'cause the resistance is far higher..mabey use a wire insulation checking multimeter?and you have to get the polarity correct or the diode(if is a diode split transformer)will not allow you to read anything

The transformer in a microwave oven is built as cheaply as it can. The windings don't have enough turns to make it efficient. They don't care if the transformer wastes 150W when its output is 700W.
I works at the low mains frequency, not at a high frequency.

Ambient said:
Well I am clumsy sometimes, so maybe I should just scrap the microwave transformer for the copper wire. It must have at least a few pounds of copper to bring to a salvage company.

Just curious: What is the usual microwave transformer voltage?

Been there done that. Pain In the Ass is what it is. There are Welds all over the transformer, and you need a dremel or similar tool to cut through them. Then once you do that, you have to remove the bottom plate, And Start Removing the bottom of the Core. Once you do that, You have to start splitting the E Core and try prying the Primary and secondary Out WITHOUT ruining them.

Took me 3 Days of Work to get about 2+ Lbs of Copper. I Did Get a couple spools full of the thin stuff. I saved the primary because it makes a cool electromagnet.

I weighed a transformer once, and the smaller ones are about 10 to 11lbs, So Out of that you could say about 2.5 to 3 Lbs in copper and the rest is iron.

My experience

I have had really good luck with NST's, also....The ignition coils from newer GM cars. I just limited the primary on the ignition coils with a cap in series, and a rheostat from home depot. I'm pretty sure I was pulling a good 20k volts at least out of it. I ran a Tesla coil on one of these for a long time, with no problems(until the cap went south). MOTs (microwave oven transformers), I'm a little leary of. I've fried myself on one (and miraculously lived). I would suggest not using these, unless you really know what you are doing. Too much current involved.

Lazers--------->
...Jason

mazzilli Cap charger problems

hi.
Im having problems with a mazzilli circuit. basically, there is definately a pretty high power output, as i can draw a white hot plasma arc with it, that will set fire to just about anything put in it's path, but for some reason, it won't charge capacitors. well, it will, just very, very slowley. the other odd thing is there is no sound whatsoever coming from it. no hi pitched wining like you ususally get from a transformer, or anything.

Im thinking it is either running at too higher frequency, or there's somthing wrong with the way i'm rectifing it. IDK.

my circuit is exactly the same as on uzzors site, but with a 4.7uF capacitor, and without the comparitors, ie. just the basic driver and transformer.

IDK if there is a built in rectifier, so it tried it without an added diode, then with. neither worked

The capacitors are 450V

Thanks.

The Mazzilli driver doesn't have any comparitors in it so i'm not sure what you are refering to there.
The output of the flyback is in the order of 20-40kV, so charging a 450V capacitor with it will not work.
If you are getting a white hot arc from the electrodes then it is working fine.
It would be better if you looked at a different circuit to charge caps with, such as a boost converter.

this is the shematic i am using:

_-= Uzzors2k =-_ Project Site

as you can see, the guy actually calls it a "50W capacitor charger"and says: "The charge time to 430V on a 3.29mF capacitor bank was clocked to 6.3s."

as for the camparitors, i thought the lm393s are comparitors?

so there is no way this can be used to charge my capacitors? even if i put them in series to get 900V?

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, the transformer i am using, i only rewound the primary (3+3 turns, center tapped) leaving the original secondery intact.(just because i can't remove it without distroying the ferrite core.) may be that has somthing to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back