Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage, high side mosfet drivers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smanches

Working on a variable frequency drive and have run into a problem sourcing parts.

Basic design is 120V AC -> PFC boost circuit to 400V -> h-bridge -> ACIM.

The problem I'm having is finding high side drivers for NFETS that can handle the 400V from the PFC. I found one so far that is 400V maximum and it's really slow, meant for SSR type applications, not high speed switching. (https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/02/HT0440.pdf)

Is the only way to handle this to use PFETs instead? Or am I just missing something?

Is it possible to use a pulse transformer?

I suspect the problem might be the high duty cycle.

I hadn't thought of a pulse transformer. I'm not sure if it could handle the output current needed to switch on the mosfets fast enough though, would it? ~1.5A

I'm looking at these IRF drivers and they look promising. Up to 1200V capability, which is plenty. 2A source/sink current will limit the size of the mosfets, but it's enough for my
application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back