Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

roltex_rohit123

hey Friends!! I want to do some exciting circuit work!! high voltage generation. This is because I hate mosquitoes.. so I want to kill them by electric shock. i have read about generating high voltage spark that could kill mosquitoes. also my earlier mosquito from YPD company did the same. but it went off in 8 days... so I want to build a stable and safe circuit by myself. I want to use my eliminator transfprmer (3 volts 0.5 amp ( 3-0-3) iron core) as the step up transformer to develop up to 300 v and the LM555 to convert the 3 V DC to charge the transformer. then i want to use the diode capacitor voltage doubler 4-5 stages to generate the 2-3 Kv. but i have some difficulties. I read in many circuits that 400 v polyester film capacitors were enough. but for 2-3 kv would they be? or shall I use 3 kv disc capacitors and 4007 diodes? I saw that there was a capacior in the YPD zapper across the +ve n negative terminal (HV). can I also connect such a capacitor? then of what value? if i am making 3 kv then is 5 kv capacitor suitable to connect across the positive and negative Hv terminals? are 4007 enough or i need to have some high voltage diodes?? is the transformer suitable or i need to use the ferrite core transformers? then which one.

It depends on the circuit, for example if 10 400V capacitors are charged to 350V in parallel then they're all connected in series the voltage across them all will be 3.5kV even though the voltage across each capacitor is only 350V.

An old TV fly back transformer is good for generating high voltages but you need a pretty large battery. :D

It depends on the circuit, for example if 10 400V capacitors are charged to 350V in parallel then they're all connected in series the voltage across them all will be 3.5kV even though the voltage across each capacitor is only 350V.

An old TV fly back transformer is good for generating high voltages but you need a pretty large battery. :D

Thank you. but i also have a question regarding the use of 1N4007 diodes. are they sufficient for this voltage or do i need high voltage diodes capable of handling 2-3 KV? also in original circuit of the zapper racket there was a PF capacitor across the high voltage terminals. It gave a good spark to fry mosquitoes. but it blew off frequently. so, will a capacitor of higher voltage across the terminals help me in that? i mean can the capacitor at all be connected if yes then for 3-4 kv if I use 5 KV PF capacitor then wil it be safe or it will blow off either itself or the circuit?

It depends on the maximum reverse voltage across the diode.

You can put 2 or 3 1N4007 diodes in series to increase the voltage level,
They may require a 4.7 or 10 meg resistor across each diode to aid in voltage shareing.

I have built flyzappers successfully with 230 Volts, back to back TX's up to 460 Volts and with a 1N4007 tripler get 1200 Volts dc which works fine to kill mossies.

It depends on the schematic which is apparently a secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back