Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High precision field multimeter - Fluke alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Joshi

Hello,

I'm wondering what better alternatives there are to the Fluke 28x series of high precision handheld multimeters. I find the Flukes quite bulky and very slow to switch on before being able to take a reading.

I've seen mixed reviews about the Keysight range.

Keysight seems to be a spinoff of Agilent/HP. HP used to make some excellent meters. you probably won't find much difference in the startup time of multimeters these days, (i'm assuming you're talking about a "portable" and not a handheld) because they all have microcontrollers and do a short "internal calibration" and self-test when they are powered on. the more features the meter has, the longer it will take to start up.

Hi unclejed613,

Yes, Keysight is the new name for former HP/Agilent test & measurement equipment.

The type of meter I am looking for is handheld. I have used the Fluke 28x series and they are known to have a very long startup time.

I wondered if there was a better alternative?

the start-up time as i said is the micro in the meter going through a self test, and a sanity check of the measurement circuits. the more features the meter has, the longer this takes. this also is true for meters with more decimal places. you said 28x series? seems to be that these have data logging functions, and that would definitely explain a long start-up time, because theres more than just measurement circuits that need to be initialized. if you need a meter which "boots" faster, try one with fewer special functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back