Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Frequency Welding Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
jpanhalt said:
Go to millerwelds.com

Find a model name for a TIG welder with HF start similar to what you want to do. Go to the owner manual section and download. Miller includes schematics in their manuals. It will ask you for a serial or model number, but you can leave that blank. For example, here is the manual for the syncrowelder 350:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/03/o352f_mil-1.pdf

John

thanks for the pdf. we're only having a simple one. the circuit will just go ===> oscillator(100khz,astable,using 555) to a MOSFET (configured to output 6 amps)

Oh boy, you're talking something I remember all too well. Look up "RF Sealing Machines". If it's anything like what we had it was a high power RF energy going through a coil. The coil and RF going through it heated up whatever was inside the coil. In our case it was making glass to metal seals for photomultiplier tubes for the nightvision goggles.

These things had huge vacuum tubes with large glowing electron beams in them. Nasty stuff. One guy was working on one and got crossways in something and people said blue flames shot out of his chest. He lived. But then they told me to work on it. One of those times I really didn't want to work on electronics. lol

Michael

mrmonteith said:
Oh boy, you're talking something I remember all too well. Look up "RF Sealing Machines". If it's anything like what we had it was a high power RF energy going through a coil. The coil and RF going through it heated up whatever was inside the coil. In our case it was making glass to metal seals for photomultiplier tubes for the nightvision goggles.

These things had huge vacuum tubes with large glowing electron beams in them. Nasty stuff. One guy was working on one and got crossways in something and people said blue flames shot out of his chest. He lived. But then they told me to work on it. One of those times I really didn't want to work on electronics. lol

Michael

encouraging words there bud. lol. yep, this is quite dangerous. how many amperes can the coil produce? vacuum tubes?! when was this project made? like a decade ago? lol.
oh yeah, i forgot something. in between the oscillator & mosfet is a DC chopper. guys, i really don't have an idea about what i'm talking here. so please help. =)

Guy, I've slept too many times since then. As far as vacuum tubes there are still places that that's what it takes to get raw power. The tubes I'm talking about were about 18" tall and had a huge beam inside. I'm sure we're talking way in the kilowatt range. I suspect you find RF sealing machines you'll still find a tube like that in it. The coil, if I remember right was made out of metal about 1/2" diameter, about 8 or 10 turns with about a 3" gap in the middle. That's where they set the glass and metal parts to seal to each other.

I'd be interested to find out how it turns out.

Microwave ovens contain a magnetron which is a kind of valve or vacuum tube.

They are also used in radars and large UHF TV transmitters and are more efficient (at UHF) and robust than solid sate devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back