Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Frequency through Low Freq Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawobogo

I'm looking to run a LNB satallite signal through my cat5e network in my house (no router or switches in the path). I don't really want to have to pull more RG9 cables.

LNB signals range from 950 - 2500 MHz I believe and a cat5e is rating up to 350MHz.

I was wondering if there was a way to drop down the frequency to the necessary range or some other way of doing it. Or maybe any wireless means of transmitting that satellite feed. Any ideas?

LOL. It'll prolly be less work to run new cables, but I'd rather get my fingertips dirty soldering than my entire body dirty running new cables.

Last edited:
If I understand the problem correctly, I think your best bet is to focus on how good a shower and a cold beer will feel after pulling the cable. :)

Regards,

Torben

Google for transmission line theory of an explanation as to why cat5 cable is unsuitable.

LNB signals range from 950 - 2500 MHz I believe and a cat5e is rating up to 350MHz.
The LNB signal has a bandwidth of 1550MHz. You'd have to come up with some magical (read impossible) compression scheme to transmit that in a 350MHz bandwidth cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back