Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High-end drones

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnalogKid

Most Helpful Member
Does anyone here know anything a lot about drones? I need a short course on the current state of affairs. This would be for personal use.

Question: Do all "decent" or middle/upper class drones need a smart phone and GPS to function? Seems like a lot of complexity just to fly around and take pictures. I get that live streaming would be difficult without the phone, but is there a stable, relatively easy to fly critter that records to an SD card?

Thanks.

ak

I do not fly the type of drones to which you are referring. I fly fixed wing and a really cheap heli. None of my aircraft have cameras.

There has been some confusion about the requirement to register with the FAA. That was resolved earlier this month with a new law: https://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/faa-uas-faq.aspx

In short, register. If you haven't done so, please do. It is aggravating but relatively painless. Also, if you are not currently a member of the AMA, note that membership insurance extends to drones like you are contemplating.

John

Does anyone here know anything a lot about drones? I need a short course on the current state of affairs. This would be for personal use.

Question: Do all "decent" or middle/upper class drones need a smart phone and GPS to function? Seems like a lot of complexity just to fly around and take pictures. I get that live streaming would be difficult without the phone, but is there a stable, relatively easy to fly critter that records to an SD card?

Thanks.

ak
Most of them are able to record to an SD card I believe (in any case, it's not difficult since it's a standalone unit you just plop onto the craft). Smartphones aren't mandatary but GPS is because it's more workload than one person can handle to pilot and position the camera for a photo. And even if smartphones aren't required, you still need to be able to stream in some way to know where the camera is pointed.

I have seen the wind blow cheap drones all over the place, but some have a very good gyro stability system.
I saw a light in the park so I went to see and it was actually 4 lights. I thought it was a light on a pole in the ground but it was a drone taking videos of the sunset. It was windy but it did not move.
I saw a guy carry a folded up "chair" to the park then he unfolded the biggest drone I have ever seen. He pushed the button on his controller then the drone flew the programmed flight then landed at his feet. Ho, hum, boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back