Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hi Prescaler/Lo timer or Lo Prescaler/Hi timer ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderman

Hi All,
Just a curiosity, I'm using Timer 0 as a 'very rough' base interrupt timer to obtain a 2ms interrupt.
I can achieve the correct timing with several different values in the Pre-scaler and the Timer0 re-loads.
I was just wondering if there is any 'rule of thumb' or advantages/disadvantages in using a High Pre-scaler value and Low Timer reload count, or Low Pre-scaler and High Timer reload count.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Roy

Whenever you reload timer zero the prescaler is reset to zero. This can cause a wide range of errors and needs to be accounted for in timer calculations. A much better way to get a 2mS interval is using timer 2. Unless you have a weird crystal frequency timer 2 can be setup to generate the interrupt without any user intervention (no reloading).

Mike.

Cheers Mike,

I am already using Timers 1 and 2 for other interrupts, hence the reason for using Timer 0, especially as I'm only after a 'near enough' 2ms that is not critical.
I did'nt realise that the pre-scaler gets reset to zero though, I'll have to bear that in mind for future, although I probably would'nt use Timer 0 for time critical applications anyway.
Nigel indicated that Timer 0 is mainly for backward compatibility and that his personal favourite is Timer 2.
I agree that Timer 1 and Timer 2 being 16 bit timers seem much more suitable and flexible, but just wondered if there were any advantages in the prescaler to timer values being Hi/Low or Low/Hi.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back