Hi From Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steaphany

I just found this site yesterday when I ran a google search looking for information on a circuit design.

I've been into electronics since the 1960's, I started out with tubes and my career experience has spanned atoms, working in Semiconductor engineering, through to Computer Engineering, Software Engineering and the Internet. ( Most of the companies that I worked for either no longer exist, evolved into something else, or were absorbed into another entity )

Right now I have my own engineering design firm and working to adapt to the crappy economy and competition from China, India, and Mexico. ( Indie engineering firms actually charge $10/hour to clients - Looks like high paid engineers are a thing of the past. )

So, I thought I should join in here, I may ne a newbie but I'm not a newbie to the field.

Impressive resume, welcome! Hope you don't get tired of all the arguments and strange posts you're likely to encounter from a multitude of members. As with any online forum, this place could probably be turned into a decent reality show if you worked it right.

Obviously you're in the industry, what do you do with electronics as a hobby or for fun or is it just work for you?

Impressive resume

If you're curious about the details and extent, please check out my *deleted* page.

welcome! Hope you don't get tired of all the arguments and strange posts you're likely to encounter from a multitude of members. As with any online forum, this place could probably be turned into a decent reality show if you worked it right.

That's Ok, I'm on several other forums with subjects covering Digital Photography, Analog Photography, Astronomy, Electronics and I have no problem with the variety of posts.

Obviously you're in the industry, what do you do with electronics as a hobby or for fun or is it just work for you?

For me it's a lifestyle. Since I was a young child, I have always had an interest in science and technology. Not only did I want to learn, but what good is just learning when that knowledge can be played with. Electronics just turned out to be more accessible than DIY in home atomic physics. ( Good thing I never ran across the likes of Will Smith, I would have been shot - Yes Atomic physics bordered on being a fun hobby that I was playing with when I was about 12 ) I also have the skills to apply what some see as separate and distinct fields into a single unified understanding bridging everything together. ( I was once told many years ago that my resume was a total fabrication as no one in an entire lifetime could achieve what my resume claimed, the interviewer never attempted to verify anything, and I've done a whole lot more since. ) One thing that is a positive for my perspective on things is I can apply what I know, have a huge library of references to draw upon, and I am always open and working to learn more.

To give you an idea of the scale of things, I have my office, data center, and lab in my home. It consists of a number of Sun Solaris servers, Solaris and XP workstations, and a full bench for component analysis, circuit prototyping, and small or medium scale production, both through hole and SMT including necessary software development.

Basically, I get paid to play.

Additional Note: I placed the moderator deleted link on my forum profile Biography field. Sorry, I didn't mean to break the rules so quickly.

Last edited:

A warm welcome to you Steaphany

Enjoy your stay and feel free to rant if you want . I get lots of stuff off my chest here with people that understand the frustrations of the Electronics industry we are all now in.

Regards,
TV Tech

Last edited:
Welcome to ETO, Steaphany! You sound like the kind of person who will be a great addition to the forum. I look forward to reading your posts in the future!

Kind regards,
Der Stom

Welcome from a new guys as well...second post actually. I'm just following forum rules, didn't want to post Hi from Texas twice

-Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…