Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hi-Fi system went bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Declann

My goodmans x-pro 6160 hi-fi system broke recently due to me playing loud music for a long period of time and the cooler at the back overheated. When I plug it in now and turn it on it switches off automatically and says protect. I highly suspect the speakers are fine and it just the main unit that is broken. It is about 4 and half years old.

The only use I had for it was using the AUX In from my computer so I would like to keep my speakers but I dont know how to power them or connect them to my computer. I am an electronics newbie btw but my father has a basic knowledge and he said he can help me out with wiring/connecting everything if there is a solution to this.

There is a cable coming from each speaker that splits into two near the end and goes into positive and negative terminals on the back of the hi-fi, these are able to be removed easily.

If you want to know some of the specs I just found on the back of the manual that might be of use to you.

Amplifier:
Output Power : 160 W per channel, min. RMS, driven into 6Ω at 1kHz, with no more than 10% total harmonic distortion.

Input sensitivity/impedance (1kHz)
AUX IN: 400mV/50 kΩ
Speaker terminals 6 - 16 Ω

Speaker Specifications (each unit)
SP-6160
Type: 3-way bass-reflex type
Speaker Unit Woofer: 20 cm (7-7/8") cone X 1
Mid: 5cm (2") cone X 1
Tweeter: 2cm (13/16") dome X 1
Power Handling Capacity 180W
Impedance 6 Ω
Frequency Range 45Hz - 22,000Hz
Sound pressure level 87 dB/W'm

Hifi Power specifications:
Power requirements AC 230 V, 50Hz
Max Power Consumption: 560W (on power mode)

If anybody has any suggestions on what to do please tell me.

If the problem is anything other than a fuse, and you have checked that the speakers are both good, I would make an effort to obtain a schematic diagram.

Is it safe to open this up to check if a fuse is blown? There is a warning on the back saying not to. There isnt any capacters or anything inside? Its unplugged.

Im 90% sure both speakers are good. No way of knowing though.

Last edited:
First, disconnect all the speaker wires from the goodmans x-pro 6160. If a speaker internally shorted, then the amplifier may be protecting itself from an overload speaker drive condition.

I'm sure there are capacitors inside the unit which will maintain a charge for some time after it's been unplugged. I would think unplugging the unit for 30 minutes would be plenty sufficient for the capacitors to discharge.

I doubt the fuse is blown since it powers up and gives you the "protect" diagnostic message. There may be a troubleshooting section in the manual regarding the "protect" message.

creakndale

Rare chance you just blew a speaker line fuse. I have not seen that in any standard issue amplifier design in years. They typically have an output current overload sensing system built into the main amp output IC.
Your IC could be protecting itself from a shorted speaker but most likely it overheated and suffered a partial burn up. I have seen several bigger amplifier IC's do that. The internal thermal protection circuit is manufactured wrong and the system cooks itself too much before an actual shut down occurs.

The main power supply could have coughed up a capacitor though. Thats not uncommon either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back