Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HEX to Assembly code

Status
Not open for further replies.

darryl_co

How do I convert HEX code for Atmel 24C16 to assembly language, preferably with a freeware of lesser mb in size ?

24C16 is just an EEPROM. Depending on the purpose of the data stored in it, there will be different ways to interpret the HEX. The data may not have been compiled from assembly code in the first place.

mdanh2002- But what are the ways atmel hex files are converted to assembly language?

He's already explained - that Atmel chip is just an EEPROM, it just stores data which could be anything.

It's even possible, although fairly unlikely, that it contains code for a processor - but even assuming it did, you would need to know exactly what processor it was for, the software in the processor that accesses the EEPROM, and the hardware configurations.

If I ask "But what are the ways atmel hex files are converted to assembly language?" then is it that my previous reference of atmel 24C16 will haunt me? is there no answer to how HEx files for Atmel are converted to assembly language?

If I ask "But what are the ways atmel hex files are converted to assembly language?" then is it that my previous reference of atmel 24C16 will haunt me? is there no answer to how HEx files for Atmel are converted to assembly language?

You're still making no sense at all - what HEX code are you talking about?, and assuming it's actually code for a processor, what processor is it for?.

ATMEL is a semiconductor manufacturer, it's NOT a processor - and if the code is in a 24C16 it's VERY unlikely to be processor code.

Sure there a hex on it all depends how you read it back and look at it. But it's not code it's saved data.

This 1234BCDA1 is the same as this 100100011010010111100110110100001 all depends on what you want

This is the same thing to 4887137697

Please forget 24c16.In general like if I had the HEX code for ATMEL ATTINY2313-20PU or any ATMEL's microcontroller, How do I convert it into assembly code to understand the programmed code?

Install AVRStudio
Open the hex file in AVRStudio
It should show you equivalent assembly code, if the hex file is actually program code for a microcontroller

Understanding it may be very difficult

Nigel, I think what he's asking is for a disassembler program that will disassemble a hex file into the assembly equivalent using the ATmel instruction set and mnemonics.

Nigel, I think what he's asking is for a disassembler program that will disassemble a hex file into the assembly equivalent using the ATmel instruction set and mnemonics.

You're doing about the same :D

ATMEL isn't a processor - it's a semiconductor manufacturer - they make various different processor types, just quoting ATMEL is useless.

As for the OP, I'm still completely sceptical that he's even got any code, never mind knowing what processor it might be for.

If the op would read the chip and post the data we all could have a look. But I bet is not code it just saved data.

I have a bunch of them chips I removed from TV, Crt, and VCR's was no code on any of them just data arrays probably tables.

Last edited:
If the op would read the chip and post the data we all could have a look. But I bet is not code it just saved data.

I have a bunch of them chips I removed from TV, Crt, and VCR's was no code on any of them just data arrays probably tables.

They are used for storing settings and data, not progam data - they aren't really suitable for code (apart from as a transfer medium of course).

There sure wasn't any code that you could disassemble I figure it was setting saved.

There sure wasn't any code that you could disassemble I figure it was setting saved.

There wouldn't be any code, you don't store code in I2C EEPROM, it's just all the settings for the TV, including technical settings as well as the customer ones.

It's rather unfortunate that they tend to get corrupted, and can seriously disable the TV - a common problem is reprogramming, or replacing corrupted EEPROM's. However, it's been far less of a problem on LCD's than CRT's - with the main problems on Vestel, Samsung and Sharp LCD's/Plasmas

if it is an avr, use this program to convert the hex into assembly. Your hex file should be called hexfile.hex. Run the bat file. You will get a file called source.asm.

Attachments

• disavr.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 878
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back