Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Helps choosing project on Micrcomputer Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I need to do a project for my programming class. I gotta make a program to work on the machine SDK 80-85
any suggestion on what can I do?
Thanks for your help

That is a very old dev board. As for projects, it depends on your abilities. If you have to hand assemble it then it can't be too complex. A useful project would be to interface (parallel port) an SD card and write a program to load from SD to RAM. On the 85 you can add an additional 2k of ROM to hold such a program.

BTW, I'd be interested in the reason such an old dev kit is being used.

Mike.

That is a very old dev board. As for projects, it depends on your abilities. If you have to hand assemble it then it can't be too complex. A useful project would be to interface (parallel port) an SD card and write a program to load from SD to RAM. On the 85 you can add an additional 2k of ROM to hold such a program.

BTW, I'd be interested in the reason such an old dev kit is being used.

Mike.
Hi, thanks for your reply
Is it possible to elaborate more on the SD card...on how exactly it will work.
I was searching around, Not sure on how to start.
As you know, this is the machine we use Intel SDK 85
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• SDK.jpg
    SDK.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Wow, that must be the original Intel SDK 8085 board. Does it have any serial RS232 interface so you can write programs on the PC and download the hex to the RAM in SDK. If not, it would be tough to write a program by keying in the Hex on the keyboard.

There is a better 8085 development board here....

**broken link removed**

The attached picture is my 8085 SBC on stripboard using wiring wrapping.

Allen

Attachments

• my 8085 sbc.jpg
    my 8085 sbc.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 326
  • My 8085 SBC.PNG
    My 8085 SBC.PNG
    100.6 KB · Views: 387
Wow, that must be the original Intel SDK 8085 board. Does it have any serial RS232 interface so you can write programs on the PC and download the hex to the RAM in SDK. If not, it would be tough to write a program by keying in the Hex on the keyboard.

There is a better 8085 development board here....

**broken link removed**

The attached picture is my 8085 SBC on stripboard using wiring wrapping.

Allen

lo,, the one you put it look like the new one and I guess we use very old one.
We write program by using Appendix F which gives the 8085 Instruction Set (Table 5) of the book call Microcomputer Theory and Application with the Intel SDK-85

Hi, thanks for your reply
Is it possible to elaborate more on the SD card...on how exactly it will work.
I was searching around, Not sure on how to start.
As you know, this is the machine we use Intel SDK 85
Thanks for your help.

You would have to read and write to the SD car in raw format (use it as a big eeprom). To read it on that board you would need to bit bang spi through the parallel port. If you google "SD raw SPI" you should find some useful stuff.

If you're using the 85 then it doesn't appear to have any I/O facilities. The 80 would be better.

Mike.

You would have to read and write to the SD car in raw format (use it as a big eeprom). To read it on that board you would need to bit bang spi through the parallel port. If you google "SD raw SPI" you should find some useful stuff.

If you're using the 85 then it doesn't appear to have any I/O facilities. The 80 would be better.

Mike.

thanks for info
you saying using SDK 8080 would be convenient than using 8085?

According to wikipedia the SDK85 doesn't have a parallel interface but the SDK80 does.

An alternative project would be to write a monitor program to allow programming via the serial port.

Mike.

According to wikipedia the SDK85 doesn't have a parallel interface but the SDK80 does.

An alternative project would be to write a monitor program to allow programming via the serial port.

Mike.
ok, thanks
So I should search about "SD raw SPI"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back