Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Helping Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan

All:

I think that is what this tool is called, basically holds your board like a vise and has a magnifying glass attached.. Anybody know of a good brand. I purchased a cheap one awhile back and it is basically useless.

The Weller product and ones like it are primarily production oriented since they can only be adjusted in one axis.

The specific model I use is https://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=26. The significant advantage of the 333 is that it can change position rapidly without loosening any clamp screws. The base is heavy cast iron and I would prefer a lightweight folding wide span base for field use. Which type or model works for you depends on what size boards you work with and how you need to hold or manipulate them.

I don't like the alligator clip type work holders much since they will mar wire insulation and PCB surfaces unless sleeved with thin silicone tubing and the ball joints never seem to hold well enough. I use a small vise with an aluminum V-channel jaw to hold circular connectors.

Last edited:
Many years ago i made this device to hold pcb's when assembling and soldering and it is the best thing i have found for the job since.

it just flips 180 degrees, sturdy and simple, it will hold a board by the very edge if needed.

Pete.

Attachments

• 050 small.jpg
    050 small.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 053 small.jpg
    053 small.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 193
The Weller product and ones like it are primarily production oriented since they can only be adjusted in one axis.

The specific model I use is https://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=26. The significant advantage of the 333 is that it can change position rapidly without loosening any clamp screws. The base is heavy cast iron and I would prefer a lightweight folding wide span base for field use. Which type or model works for you depends on what size boards you work with and how you need to hold or manipulate them.

I see, so the 333 can be more quickly and easily adjusted than the 324, although it is limited in range as it has stops as opposed to unlimited movement like the 324. Yes the weller only has the adjustment of the one axis, although it looks like the board can be quickly flipped around.

Many years ago i made this device to hold pcb's when assembling and soldering and it is the best thing i have found for the job since.

it just flips 180 degrees, sturdy and simple, it will hold a board by the very edge if needed.

Pete.

Not the prettiest, but if it does the trick

mastermind007 ,

What makes you think you have the right to just barge into this thread and Hijack it with your question, that has nothing to do with what the topic of this thread is.

Start your own thread, about your own question, and stop hijacking others threads.

KJ^EAD:

Out of curiousity, how do you hold parts in place while soldering on the reverse side. I don't see any offering from Panavise like a foam pad. Something that the weller has.

Most of the time I just splay the leads. Sometimes, I hold the part by hand while tacking it. Sometimes I'll selectively clinch leads. Occasionally, I'll top solder tack a part.

I've used the foam hold down pads in production before. They seem best suited for that.

Last edited:
In '78 I spent ~$150 on Panavise pieces; still in great shape, used frequently and a lucky choice in hindsight. Don't want to think of replacement cost...

If the board has a lot of parts, I'll install them by height. Start with the lowest to the board and build up in layers. It allows you to use a plate (metal, blank board, etc) to hold that layer in place while flipping over & soldering.

I'm not much on the alligator clips type jig, I seem to spend more time in setup than use.

That said; tools, fixtures and the like are Very season to taste. G.H... <<<)))

Thanks, I guess from all the users out there the panavise must work well, think i will go for the vaccum base and the circuit board holder and build on from there. They make a couple small jaw sets for small boards that fit the base

Last edited:
380 vacuum base? Do you really want to only be able to use your work holder on a smooth, non-porous surface? There are other bases that will take the same accessories.

Last edited:
Toss up I suppose, likely would use on a smooth surface. Thought the vacuum base would make it more stable.

Most electronics work surfaces are not going to seal the base so you'd be depending on it's relatively light weight for stability. I've got a small vacuum base that I can only use by coupling it to a glass cutting board. Vacuum bases are also a hassle to reposition.

You've done a thorough job exploring your options so I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back