Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fscd90

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my electrics at home after my contractor has disconnected some cables due to a renovation. The problem: my laundry machine and lamp no longer work. I have 3 sets of unconnected cables: A B and C. All three with a phase and a neutral.

A connects to the switch that should switch on and off my lamp.
B Disappears into the ceiling, and might go to said lamp.
C disappears into the floor and might be connected to the central grid board.

When neither are connected, both my laundy machine and lamp don't work.

When I connect
A+B, my laundry machine works, but the lamp and the switch do nothing.
A+C does the same.
B+C, my laundry machine works, the lamp is (permanently) on, but the switch doesnt work.
A+B+C does the same.

Any idea how to solve this?

I think that you need to get someone to look at it in real life.

However, photos might help.

Do you have a multimeter?

A
B
C

When neither are connected, both my laundy machine and lamp don't work.

When I connect
A+B, my laundry machine works, but the lamp and the switch do nothing.
A+C does the same.
B+C, my laundry machine works, the lamp is (permanently) on, but the switch doesnt work.
That seems odd. When A+B are connected, C isn't connected, but the laundry machine works
When A+C are connected, B isn't connected, but the laundry machine works
When B+C are connected, A isn't connected, but the laundry machine works

So you would seem to have proved that none of A, B or C is needed for the laundry machine, but when nothing is connected, the laundry machine doesn't work.

If there is a light switch involved, it may be more complicated than connecting phase to phase and neutral to neutral.

I'm having trouble with my electrics at home after my contractor has disconnected some cables due to a renovation.
This is where you get your contractor or whoever did the work back and have them fix whatever they did. Since I have no idea what country you are in or how in detail your service is wired I suggest you have whoever created the issue fix the issue. That or call a competent repair service.

Ron

This is where you get your contractor or whoever did the work back and have them fix whatever they did. Since I have no idea what country you are in or how in detail your service is wired I suggest you have whoever created the issue fix the issue. That or call a competent repair service.

Ron
Ron's post sums it up.
As a retired electrician, I would not help you from a forum, too much risk here. Are you dealing with 120V or 240V ?
Either one call kill you or burn your house down, or both.
Get the guy back to fix whatever he screwed up. If he cannot figure it out in 5 minutes, get someone who knows what they are doing and back-charge the first guy for what the competent guy charges you.
Residential or commercial wiring is not that complicated. I have to wonder about the guy who did the work....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back