Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JemmaQ

Hi there.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have an idea for an installation in a gallery where I would like a button on one wall, seemingly part of the fixtures and fittings, next to which I will place a sign saying 'do not press'. On another wall (the space is not huge), I want some kind of digital counter clocking up how many times the button is pressed. It does not have to be large, but it's important that the two appear to be unconnected from one another, so cannot be hard wired.

Any suggestions as to how to achieve this will be most gratefully received!

Many thanks.

Welcome to ETO!
You could probably hack a wireless door bell to get a signal for driving a counter circuit and display. What electronics assembly skills and equipment do you have?

Thanks. I have a soldering iron and an A-level in Physics from over 20 years ago. We didn't get beyond AND/OR/NAND gates, I'm afraid! Would I be able to wire in another type of button to the wireless doorbell circuit? I'm looking to use something fairly innocuous like this: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/push-button-complete-units/8475225/ (chosen for looks, not spec). No idea what kind of counter to go for, either - it doesn't have to be big; just battery operated ideally so it can just sit on the wall.

No idea what kind of counter to go for, either - it doesn't have to be big; just battery operated ideally so it can just sit on the wall.
Google "tally counter LCD display". You might find one to suit your needs. It would then be a matter of providing a wireless link between the counter and switch.

The wireless doorbell approach is very low cost, but you have to be able to turn the doorbell receiver output, usually tones played through a speaker, into a digital signal for a counting display to count. Another approach is a 1-channel general purpose remote control, also very low cost on ebay. These frequently have a key fob for a transmitter and a relay output, very easy to interface with a counting display device.

ak

Go blue tooth and the small arduino board (nano?), should be cheap and the software is all over the net.

You will need to make it water tight if your using it at sea:D

Seems like an awful lot of overhead for a switch and a counter.

ak
Yeah, but its a gallery. So its either a bit of a pointless joke, or its a kind of experiment. Given that depending on size of room, and the wall having other stuff on, it might be easier and quicker to be wireless than try and lay cables across a room. Plus you also got to display the number etc etc, if the op has little experience then a couple of nano's is pretty much plug and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back