Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with voltage divider for boat trim sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gort

Hello all,
I am trying to get a boat trim sensor and meter configured, this is a 12 V DC system. The sender that attaches to the trim unit is a potientometer, and shows 145 ohms at “full up travel”, and 62 ohms at full down. The meter requires 0v at full up and 8.5 volts at full down.
I created a voltage divider with a 500 ohm pot for adjusting the range, and I get the best results at about 122 ohms, but I am only getting about 60% of the indication on the trim meter (basically a voltmeter).
Somehow I need to increase the scaling, as I am stuck with the sender on the pot. Not sure how to proceed. TIA.
2E2A2EFD-9058-438D-B92F-F0B759A56B8F.jpeg
FCF91348-F023-43A8-8AC2-AEACD0F97285.jpeg
A41D82E0-10F8-4567-863F-3429A8D4B752.jpeg
707751A9-2504-435E-B179-A432F8C70451.jpeg

I'd be more interested in the opinion of the TS on the matter. This thread actually belongs to him.

I'd be more interested in the opinion of the TS on the matter. This thread actually belongs to him.
First, I have to thank you all again for the help, its been very informative and you all have been very generous with your time. I have all the components for the op-amp circuit, and I am looking forward to building it in the next week or so. Our local electronics shop which we are fortunate to have had everything.
On the Arduino, just a little more background, I program Labview, PLC Ladder, C++, etc. for part of my work, so the arduino should be fairly painless to learn for me. I do see the benefits and love the simplicity and adjustability. You could add debouncing, averaging, whatever. Very cool. Going with the op amp though, I am just really happy to be soldering up a circuit again after 50 years. Will post updates. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back