Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with USB powered cable problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of ideas:
USB over CAT 5 (The cable you ran might actually be CAT5)
USB breakout boards (screw terminals and 0.1 spacing)
Possibly use a connector (just keep twists tight)
Make your own breakouts
USB connectors - see l-com

If it's serial USB use an Ethernet to USB gizmo.

I once used a USB extender cable.

Look at stuff from **broken link removed**

Not sure what your purpose of USB extending is. Video or hard drive might have issues. Serial devices should not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that you really have a power problem, as I suspect that the power wires are probably connected through end to end.

I think that the problem is host end / device end. The side of the repeater chip that want's to talk to the computer (host) won't talk to a device.

If the end with the repeater circuitry is accessible at one of your boxes, and you've got a few inches of cable between the circuitry and were the cable disappears behind the box, you might be able to cut the repeater off of one end and splice it into the other end.

A couple of ideas:
USB over CAT 5 (The cable you ran might actually be CAT5)
USB breakout boards (screw terminals and 0.1 spacing)
Possibly use a connector (just keep twists tight)
Make your own breakouts
USB connectors - see l-com

If it's serial USB use an Ethernet to USB gizmo.

I once used a USB extender cable.

Look at stuff from **broken link removed**

Not sure what your purpose of USB extending is. Video or hard drive might have issues. Serial devices should not.

Thanks for the feedback. The USB will be used to connect a music keyboard to the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that you really have a power problem, as I suspect that the power wires are probably connected through end to end.

I think that the problem is host end / device end. The side of the repeater chip that want's to talk to the computer (host) won't talk to a device.

If the end with the repeater circuitry is accessible at one of your boxes, and you've got a few inches of cable between the circuitry and were the cable disappears behind the box, you might be able to cut the repeater off of one end and splice it into the other end.

I agree on the power line question. I’m starting to believe this will not communicate backwards. I’ll know soon.

You have USB over Ethernet. See https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=USB over IP&Submit=ENE You just have to be careful. They generally are not cross-platform and wonlt hadle things like video.

Way back in the day, I bought small Ethernet hubs to concentrate 8 computers in one room.

Access Points have the ability to convert a wireless signal to wired Ethernet. They can repeat at the same time.

So, you can effectively make your KB wireless.

KeepItSimpleStupid, or other engineers,
If I can find a wireless USB 2.0 transmitter/receiver for my music keyboards that are fast enough not to cause timing issues, please offer some ideas. I really jacked myself with this backwards USB repeater cable fiasco and would really like a wireless alternative.

True, I have 3 of these repeater cables that appear to have the repeater at the device end. If I have enough slack at the ends, I may try to cut off the ends and swap them. The 3.0 cable has a lump in the cable. Probably no good for this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JIHQ1P8?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

The USB will be used to connect a music keyboard to the computer

Don't you have real MIDI? That can run stupid distances without problems as its a simple current loop system.
You could cut out the repeaters and just use the wires, with appropriate connector tails added on. Four wires gives you both send and receive.

Also; I have an ethernet-connected USB device; I got it as an oddity and have not actually used for anything, but if those work OK it gives you almost unlimited range over basic LAN wiring.

I'll try to dig out out and see if a USB-MIDI device works over it.

I do have real midi ran in one location. I wish I had ran it in place of the backasswards usb repeater cables in the other locations. I might have to tip a few back and stop thinking about this.

what about if you tie a rope around the cable then you can pull it out of the wall at the other end ,flip it, and feed it back through

The word you have to look for is: Isochronous Transfer Mode

**broken link removed**

About Isochronous Transfer Mode: Isochronous transfer mode transfers USB data packets at a constant minimum rate of speed, necessary for the jitter-free transmission of sound or video. With this addition, SEH makes it possible to extend remote operation of such devices as non-networked USB video cameras, to take a use case common in security applications.

These https://us.dlink.com/products/business-solutions/wireless-ac1200-dual-band-access-point/ or similar devices (repeaters/access points) can effectively do all sorts of things.

They can create access points, repeaters or tap a wireless network and connect wired. Two (same model suggested) can create an (Ethernet to wireless) to (wireless to Ethernet) Bridge. A bridge just changes the medium of transmission. You could use an entireley separate wireless network for your USB MIDI.

These are in the business products of D-link.

Wireless might add too much latency.

Wireless MIDI options may be available espcially with Bluetooth LE (Low Energy)

I can;t positively say it will work, so find someone with a good return policy.

rjenkinsgb, let me know how your usb-midi over lan works?

The jury is out....

I've dug the gadget out and got it set up.
Trying it with a cheap USB MIDI adapter I've got in a junk box, it works but the response time is abysmal - play just a three note chord and there is a good chance you hear the notes spread out over half a second...

Updated the firmware, tried various programs and network configurations but it's just erratic.
I gave up and plugged the USB MIDI device straight in to the laptop - and it's still the same!
I only ever used it briefly when I first got it, but I thought it worked OK originally; it definitely does not now.

I don't have anything else with USB MIDI here at present so I can't be sure if the ethernet device is working OK or not.
I may be able to get my hands on a different interface sometime next week..

The jury is out....

I've dug the gadget out and got it set up.
Trying it with a cheap USB MIDI adapter I've got in a junk box, it works but the response time is abysmal - play just a three note chord and there is a good chance you hear the notes spread out over half a second...

Updated the firmware, tried various programs and network configurations but it's just erratic.
I gave up and plugged the USB MIDI device straight in to the laptop - and it's still the same!
I only ever used it briefly when I first got it, but I thought it worked OK originally; it definitely does not now.

I don't have anything else with USB MIDI here at present so I can't be sure if the ethernet device is working OK or not.
I may be able to get my hands on a different interface sometime next week..

Thanks for trying it out. Certainly sounds like your keyboard input device has an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back