Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with transistor equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

texaslonghorn

am looking for current replacements for 2SD555 and 2SB600 complementary pairs. I am getting confused by the xref info I have found. Any specific info/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replacement xref guides are only guides. There's no real substitute for knowing the transistor requirements.

Are you repairing something, designing, or building?

Hi. I am updating a 1970s Phase Linear amplifier. The original output transistors are obsolete, but some are available on ebay. However, research indicates there were quality issues with them, so I would like to upgrade to a suitable current transistor. Hope that helps.

Was there a quality issue with the transistors themselves or with the amplifier design? The 2SD555 and 2SB600 look like an ordinary (but old) high power complementary pair. As noted on many web sites the MJ15022-MJ15025 family look like they exceed the specifications. Other suggestions are made for using MJ21193-MJ21196 which also look good.

Are you confused that many different transistors look suitable? It's not uncommon, because for the most part you're just trying to exceed the ratings of the original 1970's transistors. Check voltage and current rating, gain, and bandwidth.

Plenty of voltage and current rating is good. For gain and bandwidth, you shouldn't have too much or too little. Second breakdown performance is new since the 1970's, and could be why the old devices had a bad rep.

You hit the nail on the head. Yes I am confused. There is such a thing as too much information and too many choices. But after more research, I think I settled on the MJ21193-MJ21196 pair you mentioned. I had a great experience with MJ21193/94 pairs recently on another project and am quite pleased. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back