Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Thyristor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyverdown

I am trying to use a thyristor(2p4m) as a latch to indicate when my mailboix has been opened.

I have a n/c reed switch on the box, that closes a circuit between the gate and +5v through a 100 ohm resistor when the lid is opened.

The annode is connected to an LED and 5.1K resistor, to +5v

The cathode is connected to a n/c switch and then to ground, the switch, when opened, resets the latch

My problem is that I am having trouble keeping the deviced latched at 5v... If I increase the voltage slightly to 6.5v -ish it stays latched no problem..... is this some kind of saturation problem, or is this a minimum voltage to do witht he thyristor (ie: could I use a different one to achieve this with the 5v supply)

Any asistance would be appreciated....

To remain latched, the current through the thyristor needs to be above the minimum hold current. For the 2P4M that is 1mA typical. Assuming your LED has a 2 Volt forward voltage, you're only passing about half that.

(5V - 2V) = 3V. 3Volts across 5.1K = 0.588mA.

If you decrease your resistor to about 2.4K
https://www.futurlec.com/Diodes/2P4M.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back