Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with the electronic ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fahime

Hi,
I am making the electronic ballast as attached files. There is something the matter with it. It catches on fire after 2 or 3 days being on without stop.
The main components that burn are R1,R1',transistors, and C8', L1 and L1'.
Please help me find the problem if you know.

Attachments

• BFPL236.PNG
    BFPL236.PNG
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,952
Hi,
I am making the electronic ballast as attached files. There is something the matter with it. It catches on fire after 2 or 3 days being on without stop.
The main components that burn are R1,R1',transistors, and C8', L1 and L1'.
Please help me find the problem if you know.
the toroid transformer needs to have proper phasing for its coils.
also, the transistor bases should have some terminating resistors. please see the Motorola applications note AN1543M (Attached) on electronic ballasts.
By the way, what is this C2 connected to , supposedly to Ground pin? Please check.

Attachments

• AN1543m.pdf
    644 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
the toroid transformer needs to have proper phasing for its coils.
also, the transistor bases should have some terminating resistors.
I changed the toroid transformer. It did not catch on fire. But after 3 hours being on, the lamp burst. Why is that?
But what do you mean of terminatin resistors?
I studied the file AN5143.pdf I am having a problem on page 9. In the formula of the 1st paragraphon in the right column and it calls for IP=0.35 Where does it come from?

What is the power rating and length of your fluorescent light tube? Or is it a compact fluorescent light bulb?

If it bursts then you are feeding too much power to it.

FPL might be a "flat panel lamp" used in laptop computers and LCD TVs.

We have some "power saving" 4 foot long fluorescent tube lights that used to be 40W but now are 34W. Most ballasts for them are just a heavy inductor with a low voltage winding for each filament.

Attachments

• fluorescent flat panel lamp.PNG
    fluorescent flat panel lamp.PNG
    113.2 KB · Views: 885
FPL might be a "flat panel lamp" used in laptop computers and LCD TVs.

We have some "power saving" 4 foot long fluorescent tube lights that used to be 40W but now are 34W. Most ballasts for them are just a heavy inductor with a low voltage winding for each filament.
Please see the picture of the lamp in the attached file.
Does it mean that 2 lamps together consume 72 watts? what are the Transistors used?
Yes, they consume 72W together. and the transistors are 13007.

Attachments

• pl lamp2.jpg
    pl lamp2.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • pl lamp3.jpg
    pl lamp3.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 197
I don't know who designed , but on the face of it, perhaps 2*13007 can't take 72watts and the toroid and the inductors are also to withstand saturation, as per present design.
i saw such designs where only the AC to DC conversion is shared and not the other circuit.
the definitions of Ip etc, as you asked in an earlier post, are well described.

Your fluorescent lights look like ours did about 25 years ago. Now the compact fluorescent light bulbs have coiled tubes and the electronic ballast is permanently attached. They are a max of 23W.

Attachments

• compact fluorescent lightbulb.JPG
    compact fluorescent lightbulb.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 251
Your fluorescent lights look like ours did about 25 years ago. Now the compact fluorescent light bulbs have coiled tubes and the electronic ballast is permanently attached. They are a max of 23W.

We do have straight ones supplied by M/s Philips, Osram, GEC etc
for example Philips PL11. we too have the modern coiled ones. hat way India is not lagging in modern lighting and decorative bulbs. But as we follow another standard, the bulb holder for the coiled ones may look different- unlike the screwed one you showed AG !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back