Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Sony Trinitron KV-14T1E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danx

Hello,

So, I was reflowing the flyback solder joints and the PCB that connects to the neck of this CRT, since the colors displayed by the tube were pretty dark, and I assumed some new solder wouldn't be bad, but then I had an emergency to attend to, sadly the TV fell off from a table after I was done with that , and it was all closed and all. it hit itself in the front of the tube (yeah ,I know, it still hurts me). Luckily, there was no physical damage, and it didn't fall from a high place, hence, no scuff mark or anything, but ever since it happened, there is a very slight, subtle thin grey-ish line on the lower part of the picture whenever the TV displays bright colors, like sold white and solid yellow from a test pattern.

My question is... was this line physical damage to the CRT itself, or maybe I can do something to fix it on the circuit boards? I was so scared after this happened, I didn't want to mess around with it anymore. I'm asking because, it only really happens with solid patterns of really bright, intense colors... Whenever I'm using it normally, if it's not playing something that has really intense colors, no matter how hard I try, I can't see the line, so that's why I wondered, maybe it's another loose connection somewhere... but I'd rather ask people that know more before I break something. It's a bit depressing to be reminded of it every time I see one of these logos with a white background.

The colors are a ton brighter now at least........

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the text wall. I'd love to repair this flaw if possible...

It sounds more like something that has always been there, that you've never noticed before.

Trinitron tubes don't have a shadow mask, then use a grill of vertical wires, and to suppost those they have some horizontal wires - these are often visible, and people complain about them.

As for resoldering the LOPTX?, it seems a completely bizarre thing to do, and unless there were bad joints on it (something I would consider EXTREMELY unlikely - and I've repaired thousands of Sony TV's - and never seen such a fault) it would make no difference. If it's brighter now it's more likely because you altered the A1 setting while you were dabbling.

Yeah, that might be the case... I've googled that horizontal wire thing and I've just seen a picture of somebody complaining about it, it looks pretty similar to mine... Wow I was really scared because I can't see that wire in any other of my Trinitron TVs... I'll keep checking out the thread in case somebody figures whether it's something else but at least, I'm glad it wasn't me messing around with it and that the TV wasn't damaged. I was thinking of messing around with the flyback transformer even.

It's far more noticeable on a monitor, as you're viewing from so close - I used a 17 inch computer monitor for a number of years, and the wires on that were VERY noticeable. On TV's, because you usually view from further away, it's rare to notice.

I presume monitors also have thinner wires in the grill, in order to accommodate the higher resolution of the screen, and perhaps the support wires are thicker because of that?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back