Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP with smps problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikermanboy44

985BD026-C9A3-4F2D-A642-63EA243C4B5E.jpeg
Hi I’m new here and have basic knowledge but not with switch mode power supplies. Basically it just shut down and no longer powers anything with would be a rotary engraver and pendent. When it’s switched on I here what I believe is the high freq transformer ticking. Nothing is burnt and no fuses blown. Any idea where I might start looking for voltages which I understand is tough to answer but I don’t know where to get schematics thanks
I’m working on a Hermès trophy master IS CONTROLLER

Attachments

• 54DE0766-A386-4EE5-83A1-E6614638E575.jpeg
    54DE0766-A386-4EE5-83A1-E6614638E575.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
bring pics up on the screen and use a program to do a screen shot, it can reduce the size alot.

your welcome, i cant help much with psu though. i will see if there is any info on it. any idea what the output voltage is supposed to be?

ticking sounds like a relay, although not sure why you would have a relay in it. better go get my glasses :p

Ticking usually means a psu trying to periodically start into a short and then giving up (either right during the frist cycle, or after a few).

so which component and where on the board is it? It should give him an idea where to start tracing back. Got to be honest most of my smps are so cheap i dont attempt to repair them. except the one on my HP logic analyzer and that took weeks

my screen isnt very bright, i cant see much obvious on the board, but double check the arr owed diodes, they look a bit dark on my screen.

check.png

my screen isnt very bright, i cant see much obvious on the board, but double check the arr owed diodes, they look a bit dark on my screen.
They seem ok to me, and they look like some logic with an eightfold pullup or pulldown.

I would start troubleshooting by disconnecting the psu from the rest of the device if possible (check whether the device gives a power on signal to teh psu) to determine where if the problem is in the logic board or the psu.
If psu, then start by checking the rectifier diodes on the secondary, then the switching transistors on the primary. More pictures of the psu from both sides of the pcb will be a big help in determining the topology of the supply and what could go wrong. It looks like it might have active pfc, which would complicate things a bit more.

Do any measurements with the supply pulled out from the wall socket, and make sure the two main storage caps on the primary are discharged before you do anything!

They seem ok to me, and they look like some logic with an eightfold pullup or pulldown.

I would start troubleshooting by disconnecting the psu from the rest of the device if possible (check whether the device gives a power on signal to teh psu) to determine where if the problem is in the logic board or the psu.
If psu, then start by checking the rectifier diodes on the secondary, then the switching transistors on the primary. More pictures of the psu from both sides of the pcb will be a big help in determining the topology of the supply and what could go wrong. It looks like it might have active pfc, which would complicate things a bit more.

Do any measurements with the supply pulled out from the wall socket, and make sure the two main storage caps on the primary are discharged before you do anything!
Thx, i am on a laptop with external screen, everything is pretty dark. all i could make out was one much darker than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back