Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with "simple" timer ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gernith

I take a lot of digestive aids in a day. I often can't remember if I took one or not so I would like to make/modify a timer, with minutes and hours, that would tell me the last time a pill bottle was moved. This sounds simple enough, but any kitchen timer has two buttons, a start/stop button and a reset. I would like the timer to start when the bottle is set down and reset when the bottle is lifted. Hard to do with two buttons. Does anyone know of a stopwatch that could be modified to do this? I don't take the meds on a set schedule, so reminder alarms wont work.

Or perhaps I should try a timestamp method that would tell me the last TIME the bottle was moved?

I would like to track roughly 6 different bottles. Maybe an arduino would be the way to go?

I've been tossing this idea around in my head for at least a year now, and the only success I've had is to hold a start/stop button on a kitchen timer and cycle power to it to make it start and stop. However the timer was large with multiple timers that wouldnt be used.

Thank you for reading and any ideas you might have!

Taking (or not) any pill, does it affect the sequence of the remaining?

Hoy do you plan to display the status for each pill? Simple light for each or something writen on a display?

What if you skipped the same medicine twice or more?

This https://www.insulcheck.com/ timer, kinda works like you want. They are cheap. I use them differently than pictured.

For each different pen, there is a different sleave. There is a switch on the unit. The way, I have mine set up, is I turn the timer around and have the switch look at the pen cap being removed instead. I secure the other side of the timer with Kapton tape which is easily removed. The tape can be had with either silicone or acrylic adhesive. You can bake the tape to 200C and it's still easy to remove.

I donlt know the battery number off the top of my head.

I take off the cap. use the pen and put the cap back on. When I put the cap back on, the device blinks a few times and starts counting. I have an older model. Supposedly this one has an improved switch.

I put index marks on the unit and the holder, so when a new pen is used, I can align it properly.

I'm thinking all you might have to do is wire a NC or NO switch and secure the sleave differently. The sleave clips onto the pen and the window on the pen is the indexing mark. The Insulchek device slides into place,

It's like pick up the pill bottle and putting it back down again.

Taking (or not) any pill, does it affect the sequence of the remaining?

Hoy do you plan to display the status for each pill? Simple light for each or something writen on a display?

What if you skipped the same medicine twice or more?

This is for different types of digestive aids, so there is no set schedule. Mostly just taking meds around the time I eat. Though one of the meds I need to take 3 times a day with a meal. If I take too much my gut can get backed up and cause pain. If I don't take enough I'll have the opposite issue.

This https://www.insulcheck.com/ timer, kinda works like you want. They are cheap. I use them differently than pictured.

For each different pen, there is a different sleave. There is a switch on the unit. The way, I have mine set up, is I turn the timer around and have the switch look at the pen cap being removed instead. I secure the other side of the timer with Kapton tape which is easily removed. The tape can be had with either silicone or acrylic adhesive. You can bake the tape to 200C and it's still easy to remove.

I donlt know the battery number off the top of my head.

I take off the cap. use the pen and put the cap back on. When I put the cap back on, the device blinks a few times and starts counting. I have an older model. Supposedly this one has an improved switch.

I put index marks on the unit and the holder, so when a new pen is used, I can align it properly.

I'm thinking all you might have to do is wire a NC or NO switch and secure the sleave differently. The sleave clips onto the pen and the window on the pen is the indexing mark. The Insulchek device slides into place,

It's like pick up the pill bottle and putting it back down again.
I like the idea of this one! Though they don't list a price, or way to purchase on their site. I've sent them a note. Hopefully they dont come back with "they are 500USD each and are only available in the UK."!

Thank you so much!

I am in the US and I bought 3 in 2016. They were €25.00 (Euros) ea with €15.00 shipping. Do the currency thing says about $30.00 ea.
They used an LR1130 battery. I am actively using one now. The display is on all of the time. They could have changed what battery they use

Here's https://www.diabetesnet.com/insulcheck-insulin-pen-timers/ a blurb.
--
I take one digestive aid and that's called Mega-zyme. I need to take it when I eat oily foods or fish. I don't seem to digest oils very well and I take something that "slows" gastric emptying. It makes a big difference.

Last edited:
the Insulcheck device works as follows (the way I'm using it)

Assume the switch is "activated" or depressed.
Timer is counting HH:MM and the ":" is blinking.
Switch is unactived and in rest state. ":" not blinking. Probably not timing either.
Activate switch
LED blinks about 30x. Clock resets to zero. ":" blink again.

You might need about 3 seconds between activate, unactivate and activate to reset.

If you already have Arduino (or Teensy, or whatever) programming skill, hooking up a few switches so the code can track multiple on and off times is pretty straightforward. Mechanically, you make a pill bottle holder with a low force switch in the bottom. One switch and one resistor per bottle, uC board, display.

ak

If you use a TM1637 module for each bottle, then a microswitch can be connected between pin 19 (K1) and pin 2 (Seg 1) and any Arduino can read the switch and display a time for each pill bottle. The modules can share a data line and have an individual clock line meaning a Nano could control 19 individual pill bottles. Note a wall wart power supply is probably needed.

Mike.

The title asks for one thing and the answers point to another. Further proof that:
"Simple" for the user means complicated for the designer and,
"Simple" for the designer means complicated for the user.

The title asks for one thing and the answers point to another. Further proof that:

gophert I like those statements,

I guess if you get them both right, it's an "elegant design".

The OP also mentioned Arduino so it's reasonable to assume some knowledge of programming.

Mike.

gophert I like those statements,

I guess if you get them both right, it's an "elegant design".
yes!
And if someone says they developed a "simple" solution that uses an Arduino, then they need to rethink about who the "designer" is in their story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back