Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with RF remote project

Status
Not open for further replies.

holabr

I have a 4 channel RF remote and receiver that I would like to use to remotely operate about 8 functions on my car. The receiver allows the outputs to be either latched or momentary. I would like ideas on a simple circuit that would control different functions by using sequential combinations of the channels. For example: maybe pressing channel 1 followed by another press of channel 1 (within a specific time), would activate a relay to lock the doors, and pressing channel 1 followed by channel 2 would activate a relay to unlock the doors. It could also be a press followed by a press and hold for a certain period of time. My funds are pretty limited so I can't spend a lot. Thanks for the help.

Is this something that can be done with Arduino (which I know very little about) or some other processor type system? I would like to accomplish this at the lowest possible cost. Since the set up won't be changing, is there a better hardwired solution or approach you would recommend? Finally, the received and associated interface need to draw minimum power when idle since I will be relying on the vehicle battery.

A micro-controller would be your cheapest and power friendly solution, shouldn't be too bad to program (if you have any programming experience). Avoiding the micro would greatly complicate the project, and use more power to run, but the care battery should handle it just fine, unless the other 7 function use a lot of power (loud stereo).

Since you have 4 channels, and only guessing that you can push two or more buttons at one time. You could actually control 15 functions, in binary, and fortunately there are logic chips that will take the 4-bit number, and convert it to 16 outputs. Pretty sure somebody has a part number handy. You don't have to use all 16, but might someday.

The push and pause method you want, would be much harder, but probably could be done without a micro, least for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back