Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with multisim circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

so im trying to design a simple trickel charger for a 4.8v 7.95Ah NiMH battery pack powered by a wall wart. im shooting for 5v at about 200mA. im doing this on multisim first to work out any bugs. it doesnt seem to wanna work the way i want it. im using 2 LM317 regulators. one as an adjustable voltage regulator and the second as a current regulator.one thing i dont get is, the LM317 constant current is sposed to keep constant current at whatever load, but its not working that way. ive been playing around with different value pots and resistors. any help or advice is appreciated!

I don't have Multisim. Could you post a screen shot of the schematic?

The resistors in your LM317 voltage regulator are far too high. The resistor from the OUT pin to the ADJ pin should be 120 ohms and for the regulation to be 7.1V then the resistor to ground should be 560 ohms.
During charging, the current regulator regulates the current. When the battery is fully charged at about 5.6V then the input of the current regulator will be about 7.1V.

You have R1 completely destroying the current regulation so remove it.
Why is your input voltage (18V) much too high?
Where is the battery?

I don't think Multisim knows anything about an LM317 and neither do you.

The resistors in your LM317 voltage regulator are far too high. The resistor from the OUT pin to the ADJ pin should be 120 ohms and for the regulation to be 7.1V then the resistor to ground should be 560 ohms.
During charging, the current regulator regulates the current. When the battery is fully charged at about 5.6V then the input of the current regulator will be about 7.1V.

You have R1 completely destroying the current regulation so remove it.
Why is your input voltage (18V) much too high?
Where is the battery?

I don't think Multisim knows anything about an LM317 and neither do you.

I was doing lots of playing around with lots of different values of input voltages and resistors. this is just where i left off. thats why im asking for help. im using a variable resistor on the bottom right of the schematic as my "load"

I was doing lots of playing around with lots of different values of input voltages and resistors. this is just where i left off.
Then I guess you did not look at the detailed datasheet for the LM317. It shows many examples for the more expensive LM117 that uses a 240 ohm resistor. The LM317 is less expensive and needs a 120 ohm resistor to keep the output voltage from rising (as told in the datasheet) without a 10mA load current. The calculations for the resistors are shown in the datasheet and are extremely simple so you do not need to "play around".

Now your thread is on ANOTHER website. I won't bother with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back