Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with MOSFET circuit for turn on/off power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kian

Hi all,

I saw this switching circuit online from a reference design that uses 2 MOSFET to enable or disable power (V+) to the rest of the components .

Capture.JPG

I don't quite understand how this circuit works. Can anyone help? I have 5V connected to VBAT and VBUS is not connected to anything. Then I have a microcontroller pin connected to POWER. The microcontroller pin switches between 0 and 3.3V.

When the POWER pin is 3.3V, I have 5V coming out from V+ to power up the rest of my circuit. When POWER pin is 0V, I have 3.3V coming out from V+ (shouldn't it be 0V?)

Thanks in advance!

Maybe VBUS/VBAT are source voltage inputs and V+ is actually the load?

Yes. This is the intention. V+ is used to drive the load. So the MOSFETS are used to enable or disable the source voltages from driving the load connected to V+.
I have 5V connected to Vbatt and nothing connected to VUSB. Then I used a multimeter to measure the voltage between V+ and Ground (with no load connected). Its giving me 5V (when POWER is applied with 3.3V) and 3.3V (when POWER is applied with 0V)

Yes. This is the intention. V+ is used to drive the load. So the MOSFETS are used to enable or disable the source voltages from driving the load connected to V+.
I have 5V connected to Vbatt and nothing connected to VUSB. Then I used a multimeter to measure the voltage between V+ and Ground (with no load connected). Its giving me 5V (when POWER is applied with 3.3V) and 3.3V (when POWER is applied with 0V)

It should be near 0v when POWER is at 0v. Maybe 3.3v is feeding in to V+ from some other part of the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back