Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with high voltage power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graemermac

Hello, I need some assistance on a circuit i have for a high voltage power supply, using a bridge rectifier. There are several things i need to know :eek:

What reverse voltage ratings would the diodes have for reliable operation? (I thought that as the voltage through the diodes will be 240V, it would be double that to ensure reliable operation?) Also, the current rating they should have?
I then need to know the working voltage of the smoothing capacitor and the ripple percentage when the motor is running and not running? I have completely forgotten the formula for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,im at my wits end!!

I have inlcuded a drawing of the circuit:

**broken link removed**

direct link **broken link removed**

Last edited:
PIV of the diodes in the bridge needs to be greater than 2.8 times the rms V of the transformer secondary. Google and Wiki is your friend. Current rating of the diodes at least 10X the motor running current (for motor starting).

Q=I*t=C*ΔV

Solve for C = I*t/ΔV. You get to pick ΔV (ripple). I is motor current. t is time between full-wave rectified pulses at 500Hz, ie 1ms.

Voltage rating of the capacitor greater than 1.4 times the Vrms of the transformer secondary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back