Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with gps robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhtar

hi, i need help, i am building a gps controlled robot. the aim is to build a robot that can automatically find fixed locations (without a remote control) using information it gets from an on board GPS. could anyone that know anyway i can go about it pls leave a message for me.
thanks

very accurate, cos it will be used over a long distance. thus a small error will cause loads of problems for the robot. most of the navigation will be software based so hopefully if i get my calculations right it should work. but will appreciate it i can find other ways of achiving the same aim.

Most relativly cheap GPS units are only accurate within 10 ft, and the signal can be erratic at times, depending on tree cover clouds ect.

What is the robot going to do when it gets to this area? and what kind of terrain is it going to be on? A few more details aobut the purpose ect would be very helpful

The sort of GPS you need for this would be dGPS, that can have accuracy down to less then 5 mm whilst in proper conditions. Perhaps...if you vehicle is about to be in one specific area you might think of positioning by LAN.

well, im using a very cheap GPS for now. the Robot will work on not too rough grounds and in the initial stage im assuming perfect conditions.

im now stuck on the relationship between longitude,latitude and angles between two points. ie. if i know the long and lat of two points how will i get the angle between them. i think the haversine formula explains it but i dont really understand it.

I have some scripts there that will convert lat long into ordinary xy-coordinats. If you send me an email at greengrove[at]email.com i can send them to you.

-

Well, I also got a GPS robot. But the control script got incrypted. So i had to spend about $10,000 to hire a professional who hired a bum off the street who oddly knew how to fix a GPS robot. Any way the control script actually was in the wrong place and I spelt left wrong. So when used it, there was no "Left" So i called up the bum again. He found the problem and I finally got my GPS robot back. They i left it running for 5 weeks and it blew up.

I did too

I also spent 10000 dollars on repairing my GPS robot. But my bum was a better trained technician. He had some skills, but he handled the robot poorly. After he said that he was "finished", it turned out that the robot was in worse shape than that of when he got it. I wasted my $10000 by hiring a bum on the street to do my repairs. I will never do that again.

By the way...you suck, boyee

I don't know if this is the size is what you had in mind, but I purchased a Trimble SV6 GPS receiver (passive antenna included) about 2 years ago for 20 U.S.D. I haven't gotten to experiment with it much beyond downloading some software timestamp software, but there are few useful walkthroughs on the web; including **broken link removed**. There doesn't seem to be many left, so prices appear to be fixed around $25 in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back