Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with fan control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the circuit idea Hero999. I would like to avoid direct PWM because it can create annoying acoustic noise. Your post started me thinking about parallel drive for the MOSFET. This configuration gives pure linear drive to the MOSFET.

Attachments

• LM358_dual_Drive_sch.png
    LM358_dual_Drive_sch.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 175
You won't get any annoying acoustic noise from 25kHz because it's well above the human hearing range.

I do not know what causes the phenomenon, it could be distortion or switching noise or something intrinsic to a brushless fan, but first hand experience has shown that at some mark-space ratios 25kHz direct PWM will make a brushless fan produce what I can best describe as a growl or buzz. I have never encountered the growl with any of the linear fan controls I've built. This is why I want to integrate the PWM into a linear signal and control the MOSFET with linear drive.

It could be producing subharmonics but they're quite rare, normally only lower frequencies are produced, but lower frequencies are possible.

I jumped into the deep end and downloaded LTSpice to test the parallel drive circuit and was able to get a simulation running with the included models. Now I'm trying to import the Fairchild model for the FQP27P06, but the simulation won,t run due to errors. Would appreciate any help you could offer.

Attachments

• LTspice_1.png
    LTspice_1.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 142
  • LTspice_2.png
    LTspice_2.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 146
  • LTspice_3.png
    LTspice_3.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 146
  • LTspice_4.png
    LTspice_4.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Dual_Drive_LM358.asc
    4.2 KB · Views: 150
To be honest, I've not idea what's causing the problem, it could be the model?

I've tried simulating it but I don't have that model in my library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back