Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloogoo

I'm brand new to Eagle, and have never attempted to create a schematic/pcb before. I have a plan that I'd like to use, which I think could help solve an issue with a non-working RC car. I just don't know how to do it.

First, I have the drawing on paper that I'd like to make. It's on page 9 of this pdf file: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/09/126799.pdf. Ideally, I would love to just be able to import that into Eagle, and have the program accept it, but I sincerely doubt that I'd be able to do that.

I've decided to go with Eagle, and now I'm trying to build the schematic and I have now hit a major snag ... I don't know how to use it. Is there a basic (basic, basic, basic) tutorial that would help me to understand how to use the program? I've tried the CadSoft tour () but I can't seem to follow it. It says "add a part" and then type in the name (ie GND or VCC). When I do that in mine there are no parts that come up. Actually there's no list at all. How do I get a full parts list in there for me to use?

look for in the help
>general dont go through it completely just read the commands and their purpose(only one or two lines). make the sch and then Switch to brd from file menu.again go to help and you will fnd a very easy help menu. otherwise Google it getting lots of hits for it.

Hi Bloogoo,

Try typing "use *" (without quotes) into the command line and pressing Enter/Return.

If clicking the Add button shows you an empty list then it sounds like your Eagle is not enabling the included parts libraries for use by default.

Good luck,

Torben

I guess that you clicked this button:
Yep.

make the sch and then Switch to brd from file menu
How would I make the sch without having a parts list?

Try typing "use *" (without quotes) into the command line and pressing Enter/Return.
I do this and it says "Can't open GND.lbr"

If clicking the Add button shows you an empty list then it sounds like your Eagle is not enabling the included parts libraries for use by default.
Is there any way to enable/force this at startup?

Now the weird thing is that today I have the libraries again. I don't know what happened. The program initially started with them, and I tried making something without success. I restarted the program, and then tried to make a new schematic/board/project, and that's when my libraries disappeared. I could have added them one-by-one, but I think that would have been a huge pain.

With odd behavior, I think you need to start with some basics. 1)What version number of Eagle are you using? 2) Is it the free version or a purchased version? 3) When you open control panel, what do you see? Are Libraries there? Can you open them from control panel? 4) Have you in error hit the "drop" button instead of OK? 5) When you first hit the component button, it may take several seconds to load. How long are you waiting?

John

Last edited:
Hi Bloogoo,

Eagle can't open any library if the path is unknown. If installed other than default you must enter the paths manually.

From the control panel select 'Options' -> 'Directories'. Enter the path manually for all given Eagle parts 'Design', 'Libraries', 'Scripts', 'ULPs' and 'CamJob', e.g. D:\Programs\Eagle\lbr for Libraries

Save and restart Eagle. When clicking the 'Add' button as described you should have the selection of all available libraries.

Of course you must start a new schematic prior to trying that.

Boncuk

Last edited:
1)What version number of Eagle are you using? 2) Is it the free version or a purchased version? 3) When you open control panel, what do you see? Are Libraries there? Can you open them from control panel? 4) Have you in error hit the "drop" button instead of OK? 5) When you first hit the component button, it may take several seconds to load. How long are you waiting?
1.) 5.2.0
2.) Free version
3.) I see tabs for libraries, design rules, user language programs etc. All libraries are listed under libraries
4.) I've hit 'drop' once, but I didn't have everything selected
5.) I'm waiting 5 seconds sometimes. Most times the components come up instantly.

From the control panel select 'Options' -> 'Directories'. Enter the path manually for all given Eagle parts 'Design', 'Libraries', 'Scripts', 'ULPs' and 'CamJob', e.g. D:\Programs\Eagle\lbr for Libraries
I installed it in the default location. The paths in the 'directories' section were similar to this:$EAGLEDIR/lbr:. I've since changed all of them to be in this form:/Applications/EAGLE/lbr

1.) 5.2.0
2.) Free version
3.) I see tabs for libraries, design rules, user language programs etc. All libraries are listed under libraries
4.) I've hit 'drop' once, but I didn't have everything selected
5.) I'm waiting 5 seconds sometimes. Most times the components come up instantly.

I installed it in the default location. The paths in the 'directories' section were similar to this:$EAGLEDIR/lbr:. I've since changed all of them to be in this form:/Applications/EAGLE/lbr

Didn't you use backslashes?

Now I'm stuck. I'm working on a circuit which uses a solar panel, and I can't find one in Eagle. Am I missing something, or is there a library that would have this? I've done a quick google search, but it's turned up nothing decent.

well you will need a separate frame for the solar panel(considering you have an average size) so just make two pads or if power is small then some connectors will do.if you have a small one then make a square depicting it and make two pads for its two terminals.

ELSE

try going to cadsoft.de. but i doubt you will find a solar panel library or anything.you have the latest version and they have encorporated all the libraries they have on their website in to it.

Didn't you use backslashes?

Hi Hans,

Backslashes are a peculiarity of the Windows operating system. Very few other common OSes use this weird convention and instead use proper forward slashes. ;)

Torben

Now I'm stuck. I'm working on a circuit which uses a solar panel, and I can't find one in Eagle. Am I missing something, or is there a library that would have this? I've done a quick google search, but it's turned up nothing decent.

Hi Bloogoo,

a solar panel isn't part of a schematic. Draw a symbol directly into the schematic, but use the proper connector, since that must be placed on the PCB to connect to the panel.

If you make a part "solar panel" it will bigger than the allowed board size of the free version.

Boncuk

Hi Hans,

Backslashes are a peculiarity of the Windows operating system. Very few other common OSes use this weird convention and instead use proper forward slashes. ;)

Torben

Yes, I know. Bill Gates just carried on from CP/M to Windows using backslashes. (CP/M = Control Program Microprocessor)

Hans

Yes, I know. Bill Gates just carried on from CP/M to Windows using backslashes. (CP/M = Control Program Microprocessor)

Hans

Just one of a few things he should've fixed when he had the chance. :)

Torben

Just one of a few things he should've fixed when he had the chance. :)

Torben

He should have ordered so. He didn't write one line of source code for CP/M.

He should have ordered so. He didn't write one line of source code for CP/M.

No, but writing code isn't the only way to have changes to it made. :) He didn't have to change anything in CP/M to change the later operating systems modelled after it which he *did* own.

Hm--weird. I had remembered CP/M being a predecessor to MS-DOS as well. But reading up on it now, it seems that MS-DOS was actually built on 86-DOS, which was written by Tim Patterson and modelled on CP/M, but which didn't have code from CP/M in it (although there are unsubstantiated stories that 86-DOS did have at least a little CP/M code in it).

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back