Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Colin Mitchell at Talkingelectronics.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too, have a hard time with Colin's response. Mike, K8LH is not just an intelligent and helpful poster, but seems flexible and kind, and has granted an opportunity for amends. Rather than a simple 'I'm sorry, do you mind if I use your stuff?' or similar, Mike is met with defensiveness and insults.

It is not like this is a website, getting ripped off; this forum is a place where we come and build trust and respect for each other.

We all make mistakes and screw up at times; our real character shows in how we deal with what we have done and how we make amends. I feel sorry for those who lack the security to step up for what they have done.

Mike,

A Suggestion, put your name diagonally across the schematic as a "watermark" dont put it on a clear background which could be "edited".

You could also put a "not for reproduction / unauthorised distribution" on
That way if he wants to post it, he will have to re-draw it or stick it up with this information on it.

One alternative that I have done in the past is put all future works in a PDF, with all the copyright notices etc on, and just post the PDF instead of the picture and text code.

It is more difficult to pull information from the PDF without reproducing it.

I hate it when it comes to this though! There is no need for it!

Thing is, people who rip, especially from this site are depriving their "clients" of so much more information, I've found an absolute ton of useful information from this site, and i'm confident I will continue to do so! If the original link I followed was on a website that ripped from this site I wouldn't have 1/1000000th of the information I have today!

Mike,

A Suggestion, put your name diagonally across the schematic as a "watermark" dont put it on a clear background which could be "edited".

That way if he wants to post it, he will have to re-draw it or stick it up with this information on it.

One alternative that I have done in the past is put all future works in a PDF, with all the copyright notices etc on, and just post the PDF instead of the picture and text code.

Thing is, people who rip, especially from this site are depriving their "clients" of so much more information, I've found an absolute ton of useful information from this site, and i'm confident I will continue to do so! If the original link I followed was on a website that ripped from this site I wouldn't have 1/1000000th of the information I have today!

Some of the schematics found here that are WIPs may not be functional so the person who is ripping off stuff may think they're getting a good circuit but is getting crap. The same goes for code that may be posted here. I know a lot of code I have posted here is utter shite, but some of it may work, but it may take work if they don't know what they're getting.

Mike,

Good advice there Wilksey, but the CLEAR "Copyright c2009 - Mike McLaren, K8LH - Micro Application Consultants" message should really provide adequate information that reproduction requires permission.

EDIT:
I'll reiterate for Colin's behalf - Had permission to reproduce been sought, there's the likelyhood that Mike would have not only given permission since the work is already publicly viewable, but provided additional information or code versions for different processors - just like he had done in the original thread which brought this plagiarism situation to light.

Last edited:
Hang on a second, Colin as not committed plagiarism but copyright violation - big difference.

Hang on a second, Colin as not committed plagiarism but copyright violation - big difference.

Fair point, my mistake. My apologies.

I'll leave the offending post, your correction and my apology to stand without any editing.

While The TE site does give you credit he should have asked permission. It was not apparently offered by you either. I'm not a judge or jury but it seems to me that folks should respect the hard work and knowledge of others. Without that respect forums like this will be of little use. Those with knowledge will be much less willing to help newbies like myself for fear of being taken advantage of. This SHOULD be basic adult(ish) behavior in this environment. $0.02

Uncle Hero, you do remember everything do you? :D

Yes, I even vaguely remember what the post was about.

If you really want to know. Someone wanted to boost the voltage from their car cigarette lighter socket. Colin recommended using a car cigarette lighter adaptor and connecting the output in series with the car's 12V system. I pointed out that it wouldn't work because the 0V rail from the adaptor is not isolated from the car's 0V rail so it'd create a short circuit then shortly after I had posted, his post was mysteriously edited so all the text had been removed.

This was not a one off, it happened again but I won't bore you with the details. :D

Now, I know that was an easy mistake to make, I admit that I could easily make such an error. The only thing that annoyed me was him deleting the post. I confronted him, in the politest possible manner but he didn't respond. I know it doesn't sound like it but I really don't hold a grudge and would've accepted an apology, it just when someone does something like that, it's only sensible to change how you treat them.

Guy's colin55 has received an infraction and a warning and basically if any member can spot another ripoff from this forum by this member for his website or any other member please let us moderators know, as copyright of such on this forum does have it's place particularly where members provide their designs in good faith only to see them ripped by people of this nature.

The last thing this forum needs is the good work done by the great members of this forum stolen from the simpletons to try and make cash.

Regards Bryan

Forgive my ignorance, but I never understood the whole design "ripoff" issue. I'm not talking strictly about copyright infringement, rather the distribution of designs posted on the forum, as this issue has been raised a number of times. I have a folder full of excellent designs that I've copied off this site ( and others ) which I share with members when I think the design sufficiently meets his requirements. I've always thought those designs posted here were meant to be shared. But members often see their designs and ideas being used, sometimes by enterprising individuals to generate an income, and feel as though they are being ripped off. However, as a design community, I always assumed that designs posted are free to use in any way, just as I assume others are free to use any original idea or design that I post.

At other times, the original poster wants credit for his design when used. Unfortunately, I don't always remember who posted something that I've saved and distributed. If I could remember, I would certainly cite the designer. But some of these designs I saved a year or more ago. My memory just isn't that good.

Last edited:
Well in this case the schematic was clearly copyrighted so it's pretty clear cut, otherwise I don't see the problem.

I've posted a few hundred circuits here and I don't mind if people use them, even commercially.

Sorry but I don't have much sympathy for someone who posts their circuit, without copyrighting it and someone else markets it and makes lots of money out of it. If the designer of the circuit knew their idea was that valuable they should've sold it themselves; it's just sour grapes.

I support Colin receiving an infraction for his childish behaviour, heck if it was me I probably would've been banned permanently.

Last edited:
I have posted a few projects that I consider to be in the public domain. However, the stuff Mike posted was clearly marked copyright and is therefore not in the public domain.

Mike.

One thing to do now, at least IMO, is to knock off those red blocks off Colin's, 'cause he's probably too pissed off to give another post here with the red lights flashing (Did he deserve that with his post count? I really am not sure) . Then he'll make his way back here and probably give a small-voiced apology.

Just my "try-to-make-things-a-bit-more-pleasant" thought :).

hi,
I support this proposal.

Eric

I agree with Eric and Pommie as well. All who have posted here in this thread make good points with the exception of one, Collin. Hero has a best point adding "not to be reproduced without consent". But the fellows post, attack on Mike and name calling. That is not right. I doubt he really makes any real money off the discs, bandwidth and website, but his response does tend show his character as far as I'm concerned. I think Mike just wanted an apology, nothing more.

Everything I post online anywhere at any site I consider to be a donation to the world to use as anyone feels fit for profit or otherwise.:)

I give my work out freely just so anyone can use my ideas and concepts as is or modify them in what ever way they want or need.;)

If my work is making a profit for someone all I would like in return is that they would just give me some credit as a contributor in some way to what they are doing. :)

One thing to do now, at least IMO, is to knock off those red blocks off Colin's, 'cause he's probably too pissed off to give another post here with the red lights flashing (Did he deserve that with his post count? I really am not sure) . Then he'll make his way back here and probably give a small-voiced apology.

Just my "try-to-make-things-a-bit-more-pleasant" thought :).

If he returns to apologise I'm sure his reputation would soon return to green.

Maybe the Electrotech site should display in writing somewhere about rights and usage of any obtained works submitted on this site? I dunno, just a thought...

I'd be more in favour of a disclaimer displayed to everyone that they keep the rights to their material but unless they should assume that, by posting it, they're releasing it to the public domain, unless they specifically state otherwise.

I think/hope Collin and Mike will work it out. The Collin response was probably a reaction to the thread which was clearly not in his favor. But it was not the right post to make with all the clear feelings in Mike's thread. And to attack him as well.

My opinion of course.

Copyrighted, to some people does means something. Happy to see most here respect it.

Now, if I see, Bryan1 posts a simple wind generator and it has a copyright on it. I will build one for me (maybe a couple), but not build them to profit without contacting him and getting the arrangements. I would not redistribute his information to others, rather simply direct them here if he posted it here.

Maybe the Collin CD should require internet access and have a link to Mike's work. Would get more members anyway.

Mike posted his professional copyrighted work here, so my guess is he posted it here for Electro-tech-online members to learn from and use. The copyright would tell me to contact him if I planned to use it in a commercial product.

I am on Mike side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back