Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with basic engineering power supply design

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmjjensen

Hey ...I'm new here and also an electrical engineering student.

One of my projects is to build a power supply that takes 120V a/c and converts it to a variable output of + and - 15V DC. It must be able to output 2A at both the positive and negative supplies.

I've got the whole converting of A/C -> DC down, but I'm not sure how to get a variable 15V output that can put out 2A of current. Any voltage regulators I've found either aren't variable, or don't output enough current.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Look at...

**broken link removed**

With the use of pass transistors 2A is easily obtained at minimum cost.

That helps a lot with the pass transistor. One of my other requirements is that i have to be able to output 0 volts. I don't think i can do that with the LM317. Won't it maintain at least 1.25Volts on the output?

Well, my professor wants that as you adjust the voltage through the POT, you can reach 0 volts when the POT is all the way down. Basically, acheive no voltage output without switching the power supply off.

Hey,

I can send you a drawing of a schematic that will do this. You will need to use the K-type package of the LM317.. It is on disk, but my A drive is broken. I can do this either at school or at my girlfriend's house. It is in a dwg format, so I hope you have something that can read it.

If this is okay, please leave your email and I will send it tommorow some time.

Steve

If you don't mind, can you attach the file with the post over here so that everyone can access it.

The key: an additional negative supply,equal with reference. With these solution any regulator can go to 0V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back