Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with audio tone circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccoy_tm

Hi, I'm one of those people that know just enough to be dangerous so I apologize in advance for asking so many questions.

I'm trying to put together a circuit that will create an 1khz audio tone that will be pulsed on and off at the framerate of a running movie camera. The reason I'm doing this is because I want to have a signal that I can record onto a spare audio track so that I'll have a sync reference that I can use to match the recorded dialog with the filmed images.

I think the first part is easy. I was planning on using a 555 set up in monostabe mode to connect to the shutter contact switch in a movie camera. The switch closes momentarily, once for every frame of film that runs through the film gate so this would create a series of 20ms pulses that I could use to "gate" an oscillator on and off. (see attached image)

This is where I'm getting stuck. I found a few circuits for sine wave oscillators, one which I've included in my attached image. I built it and it make a nice tone but I've no idea how to attenuate the signal to bring it down to line level. Right now it's putting out a sine wave that measures 5 to 6 volts p-p where a line level signal is 1 volt p-p. I'm not crazy about the dual polarity battery setup either. I'm going to put all this in one little box and would love to power it with just one 9 volt battery. My questions are:

1. Any ideas how I might do this with one battery (another oscillator, maybe)?
2. How do I get a "line level" compatible signal and safely interface it with and audio recorder?
3. How do I modulate the audio tone with my 20ms pulses?

Thanks for any help,
Marshall

Attachments

• Sync_Circuit.jpg
    Sync_Circuit.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Usually, it's a MIDI-interfaced SMPTE box for a TimeCode Stripe.

if you drive the base of an emitter-grounded NPN, via a (say 10K) resistor from the 555, this transistor can 'short out' the tone signal in time with the 555 output.

wire a resistor, say 47 K between the tone osc output and the transistor collector.

Gated tone is available at the transistor collector.

To make it single supply, throw away the twin-t osc and replace with a phase-shift osc, based on a single transistor.

To attenuate the signal, the 47 K might do that already

Last edited:
I don't see why you can't convert the twin t oscillator to single supply.

You could use a dual op-amp such as the LM1458 and configure the other half as a Schmitt trigger oscillator.

EDIT:
I didn't realise this is only running from 9V so use a lower so use a low voltage op-amp such as the LM358.

Last edited:
I don't see why you can't convert the twin t oscillator to single supply.

You could use a dual op-amp such as the LM1458 and configure the other half as a Schmitt trigger oscillator.

Yes, it's a shame to throw it away, properly stabilised they're among the lowest THD osc you can get. The problem I have with it is the number of parts is high, and even higher to convert to SS.

The PSO alternative I suggest are based on a BC549, 3 caps and 4 resistors and runs well on SS.

I didn't understand why a schimtt trigger? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
He wants a pulse generator doesn't he?

That's why I suggested the Schmitt trigger oscillator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back