Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with AM radio Design project

Status
Not open for further replies.

xludan

My group and I have been assigned the task by the professor to design an AM radio. I have done some searching for some circuits already designed to get a general idea on where to start but I have a few questions. I will most likely be desiging the audio amplifier portion of the radio but I have to meet a few specs that are as follows:

-power comes from wall socket (110 v 60hz)
-power drawn should not exceed 10 watts (for the whole radio)
-sound must come from small loudspeaker

I'm leaning toward some sort of op-amp based amplifier design to limit the number of components but I'm open to ideas. Do you guys have any suggestions as to where or what i should start with? Thanks for the help.

There are specific ICs designed to be audio amplifiers that you would be better off using than op amps. The reason is that many of the audio amplifier ICs have the right amount of gain, the right input resistance for your application and are designed to drive an 8 ohm speaker with reasonable efficiency. Most op amps will not be able to drive a speaker.

First of all you build the reciever part it can build with IF's but the circuit gets bigger. Instead of IF circuit you can replace the circuit with ZN414 or MK484..
also You must well adjust the ferrite core to reduce noise.
Quick do a google search in ZN414 you will get many AM circuits.

And for the amplifier part you can build a transistor amp or IC amp ex LA4140, LM386 etc.....but some of these amplifiers has higher gain at AM RF frequencies.Its upto you how to eliminate all these features.

The ARRL (American Radio Relay League) Handbook - almost any year from 1990 to present - might serve as a good reference. Other amateur radio handbooks could be helpful.

Thanks for all the help :) . I will look into these and keep you posted if I have any other questions.

Use a mains adaptor for the power supply.

Don't worry about the power consumption, 10W is more than enough for an AM radio,

What sort of AM radio does he want you to design?

Simple turned receiver?
Regenerative?
Superheterodyne?

I would go for the superheterodyne receiver if I were you, it might be the most complecated but it's the best design and is likely to get you the higest mark.

4 ur help

xludan said:
My group and I have been assigned the task by the professor to design an AM radio. I have done some searching for some circuits already designed to get a general idea on where to start but I have a few questions. I will most likely be desiging the audio amplifier portion of the radio but I have to meet a few specs that are as follows:

-power comes from wall socket (110 v 60hz)
-power drawn should not exceed 10 watts (for the whole radio)
-sound must come from small loudspeaker

I'm leaning toward some sort of op-amp based amplifier design to limit the number of components but I'm open to ideas. Do you guys have any suggestions as to where or what i should start with? Thanks for the help.
plz sir send me this also fast

Did you look at the audio amplifier circuits that are on the datasheets of hundreds of audio amplifier ICs? The simple circuits are already designed and some even have the pcb layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back