Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help using HC20401

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDumbYak

Recently i have come across a 4x20 LCD display. It is an HC20401 and there is a 16 wire connector attached to the top. What i'd like to do is interface it with a computer serial or parallel port. I know it can be done with other similar displays, but after a fair bit of searching, i have managed to find no information about it.

If anyone knows of this LCD, and/or where i can get a wiring diagram to connect it to a computer, i would be extremely grateful.

-images removed-

thank you for any assitance.

I did a google search for "HC20401 datasheet" (without the quotation marks) and found **broken link removed**.

And as far as programming is concerned, it's a HD44780 based LCD wich is pretty standard...

http://home.iae.nl/users/pouweha/lcd/lcd.shtml
if you do a liitle bit of searching on google you'll find complete scematics and software to connect it directly to a parallel port...
Its commonly done by casemodders, using an lcd to make the pc case look cooler

Thank you!

Thank you both for your help, the pages you linked to were very helpful.

I have one other question about this LCD panel. One of the sites recommends using the gameport +5v to power the LCD screen but the motherboard i am going to use does not have a gameport or pins on the motherboard for one. Is there any problems with using the +5 from the USB? If it comes down to it i can power it from the Power Supply, but if i can use USB to do it, i'd rather do that.

Re: Thank you!

BigDumbYak said:
I have one other question about this LCD panel. One of the sites recommends using the gameport +5v to power the LCD screen but the motherboard i am going to use does not have a gameport or pins on the motherboard for one. Is there any problems with using the +5 from the USB? If it comes down to it i can power it from the Power Supply, but if i can use USB to do it, i'd rather do that.

The 5V from a USB port will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back