Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help understanding jdm

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pc is running windows 7. I think the motherboard is from gigabyte. It doesn't have a serial port. I tried winpic800 and it didn't work with the dongle. The programmer in my screen shot does work with it, unfortunately doesn't support the 16F57 I want to program! But it does let you set up the settings manually so I'll have to learn how to do that. I have read that people get very mixed results with these devices, the chip from ftdi seems to be the only one which is really reliable, unfortunately it's also expensive, not worth getting for this purpose when it is likely to not work anyway. My laptop is a 6 year old Dell Inspiron 1501, also with no serial port, running Arch Linux with a 3.8.11 kernel. It loads the driver and creates a serial port for the dongle but I can't access it, instead get an "inappropriate ioctl for device" error, so although there are several programmers for Linux I can't currently use any of them. So the best option at the moment is to put in the effort to use and understand what works.

I'm getting there slowly, not at a point where I can test if it actually does work, in spite of previous apparently good results. Some of it is trial and error, eg, the outputs of the cp2101 are active low. I don't know if this is the case with real rs232 outputs or not (which can go up to 25V + and -) If not, then that's great because I need to boost the output voltage to 5v anyway which will also invert the signal, however if so it just means I have to use software which lets me invert the outputs there. Some programs do, some don't.

So are this has cost me £1.38, the 40 pin zif socket was 82p and the dongle was 56p - everything else was free apart from the Veroboard which I already had, so if it works, great, if it doesn't work then it's been a great learning experience and I have some parts to use for something else.

If this fails I shall have to rebuild my old 400MHz pc (currently just a collection of parts) which has both serial and parallel ports and try building either type of programmer to work with that. If THAT fails, I'll resort to buying a pic-kit (and if it works I'll use it to program a pic to build a pic-kit clone!)

Actually this reminds me ("oh no", everybody groans, and Nigel is going to want to give me whack round the head) I actually have a usb-parallel printer adapter, works great on my ancient oki line printer! Would the port provided by this work with a parallel port programmer?

So, it is a problem with modern computers. the com port converts come with three wire output only(Tx, Rx and Gnd)many times and not full complement.
Forget and try to make the board i suggested, Provided the components are available. i shall be sending a parts list to make life easy.

The choice is pretty simple. If you want to spend all your time trying to make a programmer work, JDM is an excellent choice. On the other hand, if you actually want to write code and program PICs for your own projects, just use a PICkit 2 or PICkit 3. If you're even considering a JDM programmer (with its limited range of device support), I would recommend the PICkit 2 as it will cover all the micros that a JDM programmer will plus many, many more and the additional tools like the logic analyzer and UART tool that the PICkit 3 lacks will prove handy.

I agree with JonSea, if you are actually intending to develop code or even just program a HEX file you just want a programmer that works and is reliable.

RS sell the PICkit 2 (Part # 381-582 ) for £26.26 inc VAT and next day UK delivery.

You have a 100% compatible PICkit2, in a case, with a USB cable, and guaranteed so if it does break you can get it replaced.

i fear what you have is parallel port to connect to an usb printer, and not otherwise.
(LPT to USB and NOT definitely USB to LPT.)

if you can afford better go for microchip pickit3 as i fear pickit2 may not be sold anymore.
Otherwise you can build one if you already have one 18F2550
and few other components.

I agree with JonSea, if you are actually intending to develop code or even just program a HEX file you just want a programmer that works and is reliable.

RS sell the PICkit 2 (Part # 381-582 ) for £26.26 inc VAT and next day UK delivery.

You have a 100% compatible PICkit2, in a case, with a USB cable, and guaranteed so if it does break you can get it replaced.

Exactly - and he can use a little piece of his veroboard and make a plug-in board to hold his ZIP socket (for those occasions when you don't want ICSP).

At the moment I have a lot more time than money, so I'll plod through the cheap options first. If everything else fails I'll buy a pickit. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I would go with a pickit2 it's still a great programmer to start with and it is easy to make one too I've made a bunch of them that work just as good as a real one. The hard part is the pre programmed 18F2550 But if you pm me i'll send you a 18f2550 ready to go..

At the moment I have a lot more time than money, so I'll plod through the cheap options first. If everything else fails I'll buy a pickit. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I've seen many people try to do this. The pile of discarded USB adapters or parallel or serial port cards grows deeper and deeper as they search for the holy grail of an adapter that will make a JDM design work. The one that everyone swears will work never does if they can find one and the pursuit goes on and on. The cost of bandaids exceeds the cost of a PICkit but by then, the person is convinced the next adapter will be the one....

How many people saying this is a waste of time does it take?

Well, my cheap options are all things I already have. I'm not foolish enough to keep throwing money at something that doesn't work, but I am curious enough to try what I have and see if it does work. For me, doing is learning, and I like learning. Oh and it's my time, and I'd rather waste it on this experiment than on say, watching tv or playing games, no matter how many people tell me. I've already learnt quite a lot out of doing this and it's not even at a state I can prove if it does or doesn't work (which is rapidly becoming irrelevant anyway).

@throbscottle
the pcb would leave India tomorrow. it might take 10 to 14 days to reach you.
mean time you can keep your components ready with the parts list i mailed.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back