Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP! Snubber circuit design for a H-bridge DC Motor Driver!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislee

The image below is the H-bridge that i have design and make out.

**broken link removed**[/URL][/IMG]

This h-bridge is a 24V and use to drive a DC brush motor which is 24V, 150W. After i test it, the driver can work but when i switch the direction, the lower part N-mosfet will burn. Because of this, I want to include snubber circuit to protect my mosfet and the motor but i don't know how to design it. Is the RC snubber is suitable or the RCD snubber is suitable And how to calculate the value of R,C and/D?

Can anyone help ? What actually parameter that i have to find to design the snubber circuit?

The mosfet is mouted with heatsink already. Does if i include the reverse bias diode, i no need to design the snubber circuit for the protection purposes?

The N-mosfet i use is the IRFP260N and the P-mosfet i use is the FQA47P06 and below is the link of the datasheet of both mosfet:

N-mosfet(IRFP260N): https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/03/irfp260n.pdf

P-mosfet(FQA47P06): http://www.tranzistoare.ro/datasheets3/fairchild/FQA47P06.pdf

As shown in the datasheet, both of the mosfet have the internal reverse diode, does this enough for my application and i do not have include the snubber circuit to protect the mosfet and the motor?

Last edited:
The first thing I noticed is that your PMOS transistors are drawn upside down. The source needs to connect to the positive supply. If they are connected as drawn, the circuit won't work.

This my new design of my H-bridge as below:
**broken link removed**[/URL][/IMG]

All the component i use is same as the first post, include the MOSFET i use to design this circuit.

What problem i face now is:
1) The design is function with 12V battery, but when i connect with 24V, if cannot function(the circuit burn). I think this is because the high current of the battery. So, how i gonna do with this???
2) Even connect with 12V will work, but when i leave it run in few minutes, the P-Mosfet begin to heat up. This make the conductivity of the P-Mosfet because less (because the motor seen low torque and slowly). Why this will happen even i mounted all the mosfet with heat sink already???

I change the design of the circuit already .

**broken link removed**

All the component i use is the same.

The problem i facing now is :
1) The circuit is function with 12V but is not function with 24V( the circuit burn). I use battery, and probably connect with 24V is not function is because the current is too high. Thus, what should i do???

2) Even with 12V it will function, but if i let it run in few minutes, let say 2 minutes, the top P-Mosfet is begin to heat up(although i mounted all mosfet with heat sink) and this lead to the conductivity of the mosfet because less( the motor seen very low torque and become slow). Why this situation happen?

Hope to hear to you all opinion. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back