help reversing dc motor polarity using reed switches and relays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2010

I have a 12vdc motor which runs at 6rpm. I have an object that I want to travel from left to right and back again using a rack and pinion gear system. The idea is that when the object hits one end, it hits a reed switch which reverses the motor polarity and sends it back over and over again.

The problem is that I am new to hooking such devices up and dont, know what I need. Do I need two relays to hook this up or just one and how many pins would the relays need to have?

I would appreciate any feedback!!

hi Mark.
This is one option, uses 2 pole c/o relays and micro-switches.

Attachments

• MtrRev1.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,085
Last edited:
AUTOMATIC FORWARD-REVERSE
The following circuit allows a motor (such as a train) to travel in the forward direction until it hits the
"up limit" switch. This sends a pulse to the latching relay to reverse the motor (and ends the short pulse). The train travels to the "down limit" switch and reverses.
**broken link removed**

If the motor can be used to click a switch or move a slide switch, the following circuit can be used:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I have another solution that employs a minimum number of parts for the continuous shuttle motion you describe. It will take two micro switches, one normally open and another normally closed and a three pole double throw relay with a 12V coil. The schematic is attached with notes outlining the operation. I forgot to add a 1N4001 across the relay coil (anode to same terminal as SW1).

Good Luck!

Attachments

• Motor Reverser_edited-1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,525
If you cannot get a triple-pole change-over relay, use this circuit:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…