Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help reversing dc motor polarity using reed switches and relays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2010

I have a 12vdc motor which runs at 6rpm. I have an object that I want to travel from left to right and back again using a rack and pinion gear system. The idea is that when the object hits one end, it hits a reed switch which reverses the motor polarity and sends it back over and over again.

The problem is that I am new to hooking such devices up and dont, know what I need. Do I need two relays to hook this up or just one and how many pins would the relays need to have?

I would appreciate any feedback!!

I have a 12vdc motor which runs at 6rpm. I have an object that I want to travel from left to right and back again using a rack and pinion gear system. The idea is that when the object hits one end, it hits a reed switch which reverses the motor polarity and sends it back over and over again.

The problem is that I am new to hooking such devices up and dont, know what I need. Do I need two relays to hook this up or just one and how many pins would the relays need to have?

I would appreciate any feedback!!

hi Mark.
This is one option, uses 2 pole c/o relays and micro-switches.

Attachments

• MtrRev1.gif
    MtrRev1.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,078
Last edited:
AUTOMATIC FORWARD-REVERSE
The following circuit allows a motor (such as a train) to travel in the forward direction until it hits the
"up limit" switch. This sends a pulse to the latching relay to reverse the motor (and ends the short pulse). The train travels to the "down limit" switch and reverses.
**broken link removed**

If the motor can be used to click a switch or move a slide switch, the following circuit can be used:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I have another solution that employs a minimum number of parts for the continuous shuttle motion you describe. It will take two micro switches, one normally open and another normally closed and a three pole double throw relay with a 12V coil. The schematic is attached with notes outlining the operation. I forgot to add a 1N4001 across the relay coil (anode to same terminal as SW1).

Good Luck!

Attachments

• Motor Reverser_edited-1.jpg
    Motor Reverser_edited-1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,521
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back