1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

help reversing dc motor polarity using reed switches and relays?

Discussion in 'Electronic Projects Design/Ideas/Reviews' started by mark2010, May 28, 2010.

1. mark2010

mark2010 New Member

I have a 12vdc motor which runs at 6rpm. I have an object that I want to travel from left to right and back again using a rack and pinion gear system. The idea is that when the object hits one end, it hits a reed switch which reverses the motor polarity and sends it back over and over again.

The problem is that I am new to hooking such devices up and dont, know what I need. Do I need two relays to hook this up or just one and how many pins would the relays need to have?

I would appreciate any feedback!!

2. ericgibbs

ericgibbs Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

hi Mark.
    This is one option, uses 2 pole c/o relays and micro-switches.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  3. colin55

colin55 Well-Known Member

AUTOMATIC FORWARD-REVERSE
    The following circuit allows a motor (such as a train) to travel in the forward direction until it hits the
    "up limit" switch. This sends a pulse to the latching relay to reverse the motor (and ends the short pulse). The train travels to the "down limit" switch and reverses.
    [​IMG]

If the motor can be used to click a switch or move a slide switch, the following circuit can be used:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  4. dave

Dave New Member

5. MRCecil

MRCecil Member

I have another solution that employs a minimum number of parts for the continuous shuttle motion you describe. It will take two micro switches, one normally open and another normally closed and a three pole double throw relay with a 12V coil. The schematic is attached with notes outlining the operation. I forgot to add a 1N4001 across the relay coil (anode to same terminal as SW1).

Good Luck!

Attached Files:

6. colin55

colin55 Well-Known Member

If you cannot get a triple-pole change-over relay, use this circuit:
    [​IMG]